Food Plots Summer Plot and Fall Transition

LoneWolf9

Looking for ideas on suggested summer plot mix and then also process to transition to a fall plot. I'm in middle tennessee (van Buren cty) have a 1/3 acre plot i plan to plant with clover and forage oats. I'll be broadcast all seed with a light tilling. My questions are:

1. is this a good planned summer food mix
2. will this planting mix last through fall/winter?
3. should i plan to plant anything more into the clover/oats plot in the fall to last through winter (brassicas, rye??)

thanks for the ideas

BSK

Oats are a winter crop, and not only will they seed and die in spring, deer usage drops off dramatically at spring green-up. What type of clover do you have? Annual clovers, like Crimson, also bloom and die in late spring (generally May).

The difficult aspect of recommending a summer crop is the small acreage. A 1/3-acre plot isn't going to be big enough to grow large plants such as beans/peas. The deer will probably wipe them out before the plants have a chance to grow large enough to survive browse pressure.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
1. If I we're planting clover this late, i would plant balansa but
I would opt for a summer blend that will be a blend of cover, soil building and food. Eagle seed has a product called buffalo summer blend. Then plant my clovers at the end of august with wheat or cereal rye.
2. No
3. Yes, turnips and radishes

BSK

I would opt for a summer blend that will be a blend of cover, soil building and food. Eagle seed has a product called buffalo summer blend. Then plant my clovers at the end of august with wheat or cereal rye.
2. No
What he said!

JCDEERMAN

2. No
What does a bag of that buffalo blend run? And how many lbs per acre drilled?

Latest posts