Food Plots Different approach this year - let it grow

DeerCamp

To be clear - this was not the plan for the main plot.

I didn't plant as much cereal rye last fall as I normally do, opting for mixes of peas and oats and clover than didn't smother the weeds out the way rye does. So this summer, when I would normally be staring at very empty, dead plots, nature took it's course.

And we started noticing that we were seeing more deer than before, especially during the summer. So I decided, instead of the nurtured, lush food plots of the past..

(LIKE THIS)

1665604496830.png

We opted to just let it go and see what happens. To my surprise, we have seen a LOT more deer this year than in past years over the course of 2022.

(THIS WAS AUGUST)
1665604585914.png

It's quite the change from years past to see the plots grown up, but they seem to have really enjoyed a lot of fertilized, natural browse. They've been in it all year.

You can see here just how grown up this is. This is the same plot as in the picture above from 2020.
1665604676292.png

I just broadcast 100 lbs of cereal rye and an antler king mix that has about 10 different things in it.

We may regret it come late fall, I don't know, but it seemed like it was worth the experiment.

May go back to spraying, then mulch method, then planting next year.

All depends on how many tags get punched this year.

BSK

Nature provides. Although deer were originally classified as "woody browsers," that was because deer were first observed in big woods environments. In reality, white-tailed deer are "weed eaters." When available (during the growing season), deer are primarily weed eaters.

I still grow nice, clean food plots for deer, but I have far, FAR more acreage invested in "weed production." In fact, even though my summer plots were a failure this year, they did grow some soybeans. Yet the deer almost ignored them because we also have over 100 acres of weed production. THAT is where the deer spent all summer.

DeerCamp

Nature provides. Although deer were originally classified as "woody browsers," that was because deer were first observed in big woods environments. In reality, white-tailed deer are "weed eaters." When available (during the growing season), deer are primarily weed eaters.

I still grow nice, clean food plots for deer, but I have far, FAR more acreage invested in "weed production." In fact, even though my summer plots were a failure this year, they did grow some soybeans. Yet the deer almost ignored them because we also have over 100 acres of weed production. THAT is where the deer spent all summer.
I don't really have enough acres (with this layout) to do much of both, but I may end up doing 1/2 and 1/2 next year, or possibly trying to expand another 1/2-1 acre plot and let it go.

I am guilty of watching too much tv hunting like some, and I certainly love the way a food plot looks in fall.

I'm just hoping most of what I just put out comes up and gives them a double dose of natural + supplemental.

BSK

The real upside to weed production is the amount of high-quality summer foods produced at minimal cost. In addition, overgrown areas are often excellent cover. The downside is winter food production. Once hard freezes kill all of the anual weeds, food volume plummets. Although the area can remain cover through the winter.

The biggest problem is maintaining the weed production. In TN, any open area is going to try to progress into the sapling regrowth stage and eventually back into a forest. Finding ways to constantly knock back the woody regrowth is the trick.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
The real upside to weed production is the amount of high-quality summer foods produced at minimal cost. In addition, overgrown areas are often excellent cover. The downside is winter food production. Once hard freezes kill all of the anual weeds, food volume plummets. Although the area can remain cover through the winter.

The biggest problem is maintaining the weed production. In TN, any open area is going to try to progress into the sapling regrowth stage and eventually back into a forest. Finding ways to constantly knock back the woody regrowth is the trick.
Agree strongly. Took 300 acres out of row crop last year, owner does not qualify for CRP and let it go this year. . Population of constant users went up and stayed up all summer. Bean and clover plot browsed but not wiped out, Our plan is to treat it like native warm season grasses and burn 1/3 each feb. So far it looks like a lot of matter and the fire will help control woody plants. Its hard for me tho! Letting weeds grow that i have battled for years!

DeerCamp

Agree strongly. Took 300 acres out of row crop last year, owner does not qualify for CRP and let it go this year. . Population of constant users went up and stayed up all summer. Bean and clover plot browsed but not wiped out, Our plan is to treat it like native warm season grasses and burn 1/3 each feb. So far it looks like a lot of matter and the fire will help control woody plants. Its hard for me tho! Letting weeds grow that i have battled for years!
I know what you mean.
Makes me want to go down there and have a talk with them.

"This doesn't mean you won, it just means I'm letting you hang out for a bit"

BSK

Burning is biologically the best option. I just wish most of my "weed" areas weren't near vertical slopes. Burning in that situation is beyond tricky.

BSK

So does it do any good to just fertilize the "weed" plots? What about lime? Or do you skip these altogether?
Yes, for summer growth, fertilizing and liming weed fields can be very beneficial. But just remember that after the first freeze, "weed fields" produce nothing in the way of food sources for deer. The annual weeds - the primary food source - are all dead.

Latest posts