Spooking Deer Walking Into Woods

MrD1

Hello everyone,

I'm new to deer hunting and was looking for some advice. Almost every time I start walking into the woods to head to my spot, around 6:30 am, I spook deer. I was wondering if I should start going in later to avoid spooking the deer, or keep going in at the same time because it gives me more time to sit?

Appreciate the advice.

Urban_Hunter

Some will disagree, but I would go in earlier. I see your in Knox county so it may vary a tiny bit. Here in Middle TN it starts getting light around 6:00 (this time of year). I try to be seated, cooled down, and motionless by 5:30. Then when deer come by at the crack of light they just hang out til dirt nap time.

Mossy Oak

Lots of different opinions on this subject. Personally, I try to be in my stand 30 minutes before light. If I happen to bump a deer walking in, I just keep on walking and don't pay any attention.

htnseymour

In the area you are talking about which is basically where I hunt, i am in the stand by 5:15-5:45 and no later. Deer move early and I don't want to spook them. If you are using a flashlight that doesn't help either

in the dog house

Ive heard if you can and will bend at the waist as you walk to your stand the deer arent near as spooked by you. We are the only thing that stands erect so if your bent when walking you appear to the deer as a cow,horse, or some other non-threatening animal. And like said above getting in earlier. But if your carrying a climber on you back obv this isnt possible....... got nothing to lose so worth trying JMO

JeepKuntry

This time of year, I actually wait and slip in right at daylight on private land. Public land I try to be in the stand at least 45 minutes before daylight.

BlountArrow

IMO, we all have to remember that sometimes there are "great" places to hunt that there is just simply no good way to get to without alerting the whole woods regardless of time of day or how quiet you think you are. I can think of several "great" spots to hunt in some very thick areas on a lease I have and some ridge top places on our farm, but there is no way to get to them without waking the dead. Sometimes you just have to hunt the edge of those "great" spots and hope for the best.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Slowly moving in at first light you are less likely to make as much noise. Moving in earlier in the dark and you may be set up for what ever is there at first light. It is a catch 22. If you can get to your stand in and set up without much noise then at least you will have more time on stand to hunt.

woodchuckc

One of my favorite spots to hunt on my place requires me to walk through a field to get to my stand about 100 yards back in the woods or walk through the woods right across the area where the deer travel. So, to keep from laying down a bunch of scent in the woods I walk through the field about 30 minutes before daylight, right down the middle of it instead of around the edge. Almost every time there are deer out there that blow at me as I walk by, but most of the time they do not even run out of the field (I hear them stomping around, usually circling behind me). Often times the deer will come out of the field after daylight, right by me after I get up in the stand.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Wait until good daylight and then just walk in. Hunt in and out and quit worrying about spooking deer. Nothing you can do about it.

MattR

Sometimes i try to take off beat steps and only take maybe 3-5 steps at a time. Slowly and take my time, get there extra early so i dont have to rush. I have spooked deer doing this but not to the point where they run, most of the time they get curious and since they never see me, i have better chances of seeing them later. Heard of people doing this then doing a grunt when they get in the stand with moderate success? Also i believe on how much pressure the is where you hunt. In hard hunted areas, it seems if i spook a deer i can kiss most of the day goodbye. Thats just my opinion

TheLBLman

Deer seem to be less bothered by human intrusion when it's still dark. They are also "less bothered" by green or red light instead of white light. You will seriously "spook" a lot less deer coming in before daylight. I try to keep the headlight focused at my feet, move steadily and deliberately, sounding somewhat like a walking deer as I go to a stand. And often have deer following me out of curiosity, so I know they're not "spooked".

For morning hunts, I'm typically on stand (all quiet) at least 30 minutes before first light. There seems to be a flurry of critter movement right around dawn. If you come in right before dawn, you're a part of that flurry and paid less attention. And if you're not already "ready" on stand by before dawn, you'll likely have no opportunity at those deer near your stand at dawn.

BlackBelt

Heres a coupla things i do. When i get to areas where i typically get busted walking in, i do the stagger step 3-7 steps then stop. Then repeat. If deer bust and blow, i usually try a grunt snort wheeze (tsh, tsh, ...tshhhhhhh). Ive also used a turkey yelp pattern when busted and its worked better than i thought it would. The deer immediately relax. Most of the time i've used the grunt snort wheeze i've had the deer circle back around to see which buck was doing that call.

randy

I bought one of these last year. It seems to work really well. The deer just seem to ignore me. And the red light in the nose doubles as a good flashlight.
deer-1.jpg

HerdThinner 2012

That's awesome. What is the thinsulate value on that thing? All joking aside... Get out earlier. As a beginner, that is your best bet. I recommend the same 30 or so minutes... Sitting and ready. Not drinking coffee, etc. Unless you are on wma or some sort of public land with groundrules, there is nothing stopping you from leaving the truck an hour before, making a nice slow walk to your stand and achieving that 30 minutes.
I have blown the woods up so many times its not funny. Even getting in early, i have still spookef deer sometimes. This at least gives me what I consider to be a fighting chance. It's kinda like blackjack. If you hit on 13, do it consistently, sometimes it works and sometime it don't. But the odds are in your favor that you will not bust.

Hollar Hunter

Really depends on the spot and the deers pattern. Some places I just can't hunt in the morning cause there's no way in without getting busted short if staying the night. Sometimes you can wait till sunup and hunt your way in but I would do whatever bumps the deer the least.

Latest posts