Spooking Deer Walking Into Woods

Urban_Hunter

Wes Parrish said:
Deer seem to be less bothered by human intrusion when it's still dark. They are also "less bothered" by green or red light instead of white light. You will seriously "spook" a lot less deer coming in before daylight. I try to keep the headlight focused at my feet, move steadily and deliberately, sounding somewhat like a walking deer as I go to a stand. And often have deer following me out of curiosity, so I know they're not "spooked".

For morning hunts, I'm typically on stand (all quiet) at least 30 minutes before first light. There seems to be a flurry of critter movement right around dawn. If you come in right before dawn, you're a part of that flurry and paid less attention. And if you're not already "ready" on stand by before dawn, you'll likely have no opportunity at those deer near your stand at dawn.

This is great advice. I too have seen deer come to me 5 minutes behind me walking my same trail. Had it happen once I was hunting on the ground and the deer was right beside me looking and sniffing me before casually strolling off... in the pitch black. Its a little eery being within a foot of a deer on the ground.

Latest posts