timberjack86

Hunting above the clouds on south Cherokee
IMG_20191224_094814158.jpg

Chickencoop96

Thank you, I found another nice one but the area he's in is so rough I dread hunting him lol Probably take all day to get him packed out. Unless he died of old age I'm almost certain he's still alive.
Them old bucks always seem to get into the roughest territory around. its about the same in North Cumberland where I used to hunt. might be easier with help draggin him out it sounds like

timberjack86

for years i've been told that there are no deer there but i found that hard to believe. that has got to be a stud of a buck roaming around back there
I've heard the old saying on big woods tracts that 10 percent of the land holds all the deer. I'd say it's more like 5 percent on south Cherokee. The good thing is when you find that one area they like, they tend to use it every year. I've also found the best way to find deer on south Cherokee is rubs. Not the small ones either, you want the bigger ones that get your heart pumping! Last year's rubs are still visible and if you can find some now you can pretty much bank on finding deer come November. I missed the buck I was after last year.:(

EastTNboy

I personally believe Cherokee National forest has some of, if not, the toughest public land hunting in the state and probably the southeast. It's very steep, has little to no deer management, predators galore, and a very low deer population....With all this being said, out of all the TN public land areas I have been fortunate enough to hunt so far in my life (around 20 different WMAs) I have seen the very biggest bucks on CNF. There's not many deer in CNF as a whole but the one's that are there typically grow old due to the terrain. I located a big 14pter last year and have located him again this year. I'm waiting to see how big he is this year but he looks like he's going to be at least as big this year as last. He will be my biggest public buck by a lot if I am lucky enough to kill him.

BubbaGoneWild

Howdy!,

I'm new to this group, and I have been doing a lot of research on South Cherokee Deer. I normally hunt up around North Cumberland, but I live in Maryville now, which is pretty far if I want to hunt more frequently. I know that South Cherokee is known more for bear, but I cant help but wonder if there are any good deer still there. Really looking for some insight on what I might expect if I were to deer hunt South Cherokee.

Thanks!
I fish up there alot on chillhowee. Lots and lots of people have told me about the big bucks swimming the lake but I've never seen any I'm sure they are there. Big country. Just be prepared

Chickencoop96

I personally believe Cherokee National forest has some of, if not, the toughest public land hunting in the state and probably the southeast. It's very steep, has little to no deer management, predators galore, and a very low deer population....With all this being said, out of all the TN public land areas I have been fortunate enough to hunt so far in my life (around 20 different WMAs) I have seen the very biggest bucks on CNF. There's not many deer in CNF as a whole but the one's that are there typically grow old due to the terrain. I located a big 14pter last year and have located him again this year. I'm waiting to see how big he is this year but he looks like he's going to be at least as big this year as last. He will be my biggest public buck by a lot if I am lucky enough to kill him.
That's pretty wild man! And good luck to ya!

Chickencoop96

I fish up there alot on chillhowee. Lots and lots of people have told me about the big bucks swimming the lake but I've never seen any I'm sure they are there. Big country. Just be prepared
I've only been fishing Chilhowee for about a year and a half now, and I have yet to see any deer up there. I haven't even seen them on the foothills parkway. that doesn't mean they aren't there though. its definitely alot of country for them to be tucked away in.

Chickencoop96

I've only been fishing Chilhowee for about a year and a half now, and I have yet to see any deer up there. I haven't even seen them on the foothills parkway. that doesn't mean they aren't there though. its definitely alot of country for them to be tucked away in.
However, I do see Quite a few Deer coming through Happy Valley.

Chickencoop96

I've heard the old saying on big woods tracts that 10 percent of the land holds all the deer. I'd say it's more like 5 percent on south Cherokee. The good thing is when you find that one area they like, they tend to use it every year. I've also found the best way to find deer on south Cherokee is rubs. Not the small ones either, you want the bigger ones that get your heart pumping! Last year's rubs are still visible and if you can find some now you can pretty much bank on finding deer come November. I missed the buck I was after last year.:(
Sounds like I got some work to do! that's alright though I love Prowling through the woods. I also know how that feels man! missed a big 8 point in Scott county with my bow several years ago, and it made me sick for months! I hope you get him this year

TheLBLman

Deer hunting the Cherokee National Forest is really what traditional deer hunting is all about. The type experiences you'll have there, well, you'll likely find them more meaningful than just sitting in an enclosed blind stand, watching a food plot, while listening to cars drive by on the nearby road.

Hunting there is a wilderness experience, unencumbered by all the distractions, particularly the noise pollution ones, of most TN "hunting" experiences. Not only can this experience help you become a better hunter, but it will help you better understand the differences between "hunting" and "shooting".

Across much of TN, people may more typically go out to shoot a deer, rather than go out really deer hunting.

Chickencoop96

Deer hunting the Cherokee National Forest is really what traditional deer hunting is all about. The type experiences you'll have there, well, you'll likely find them more meaningful than just sitting in an enclosed blind stand, watching a food plot, while listening to cars drive by on the nearby road.

Hunting there is a wilderness experience, unencumbered by all the distractions, particularly the noise pollution ones, of most TN "hunting" experiences. Not only can this experience help you become a better hunter, but it will help you better understand the differences between "hunting" and "shooting".

Across much of TN, people may more typically go out to shoot a deer, rather than go out really deer hunting.
Believe me, I know that difference for sure. I spent years with my old man hunting in some pretty tucked away spots in North Cumberland (back when there weren't as many deer there) in my Opinion, that was the best hunting I ever did. A lot of steep ridges, little deer sign, lots of ground, and wild skittish deer. truly wild when you hunt like that. That being said, I have still had a lot of fun 'shooting deer' especially as a young kid learning the basic fundamentals.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

I have still had a lot of fun 'shooting deer' especially as a young kid learning the basic fundamentals.
For sure, but . . . . .

Many don't see the distinction between two "sports",
one being "hunting", the other being "shooting".

Shooting is periodically a part of successful hunting;
while shooting doesn't necessarily involve any hunting.

I think of a fenced field of cattle.
With the most basic of shooting skills, it would be very easy to just shoot one.

The farther you can get away from an experience like just shooting a cow in a fenced field, the closer you get to hunting rather than shooting. Unlike so many farmland, urban, and/or baited shooting sites, you will typically have to "hunt" for any shooting opportunity while deer hunting in a vast wilderness area (which allows hunting).

I added "which allows hunting" because "vast" may be a matter of perspective, and many indeed "vast" wilderness areas do not allow hunting, and we often find the deer in those areas about as "tame" as a farmer's cattle. Good example would be if one of us went inside the Smoky Mountain National Park to Cade's Cove (or anywhere close to that cove's perimeter) to shoot a deer (as wouldn't exactly be "hunting" as much as would be "shooting").

Last edited:

Kirk

When I first started hunting back in mid 1970's, South Cherokee was one of a hand full of places around Cleveland TN that had a deer season and held any deer. My Dad and I hunted the Ocoee region of SCNF from mid 70's to mid 90's. As the deer were reestablished in the foot hills and valleys of East Tennessee the pressure on South Cherokee dropped significantly.

I can honestly say I saw far more bears and hogs than I ever did deer. I was bluff charged by a bear at Dutch Settlements and that was one of the most invigorating feelings I have ever had. 50/50 terror and relief it didn't eat me. It was a far more thrilling hunt than the ones I do now. Coming down out of those mountains, working my way down those winding roads, well after dark, brought a feeling of real accomplishment.

timberjack86

When I first started hunting back in mid 1970's, South Cherokee was one of a hand full of places around Cleveland TN that had a deer season and held any deer. My Dad and I hunted the Ocoee region of SCNF from mid 70's to mid 90's. As the deer were reestablished in the foot hills and valleys of East Tennessee the pressure on South Cherokee dropped significantly.

I can honestly say I saw far more bears and hogs than I ever did deer. I was bluff charged by a bear at Dutch Settlements and that was one of the most invigorating feelings I have ever had. 50/50 terror and relief it didn't eat me. It was a far more thrilling hunt than the ones I do now. Coming down out of those mountains, working my way down those winding roads, well after dark, brought a feeling of real accomplishment.
I hunted middle Tn all my life, Started hunting these mountains when I moved over here. There is a real feeling of accomplishment and I don't care if I ever hunt anywhere else.

Kirk

That picture reminds me of an "oh crap" moment from those mountains. A friend of mine wanted to go scout an area before Turkey season opened, on the back side of the lake. We checked it out and didn't find anything. He suggested we head to Seven Creeks. (That is what we always called it and I don't know if that is its name or not.) Anyway....on the way to 7 creeks we came upon a big mud hole that was full of water and stretched across the entire road. We were in my 86' Nissan 4x4 and it set up high enough I didn't think it would be an issue. He reassured me that he had been through it the previous week.

I got out and looked at it and looked for the best place to cross it. I asked him again "are you sure we can make it?" "Yes, your truck sets up higher than mine should be easy. " WELL...........half way through this mud hole, water was running in the doors. and the muffler was under water and gurgling. I kept going and finally made it out the other side. Found a place to turn around and went back through it headed for home. I wasn't about to try to cross that thing at dark.

Latest posts