Sooners and Longhorns to the SEC?

Zulu

Weak as in TAMU or me? It wasn't an insult intended by me.
Weak as in TAMU ... no slam on you intended. I don't have a dog in the fight (can't stand UT, excuse me, I mean UTexas). Just always thought the Aggies could come up with something better than "tea sipper" as a put down. I mean Texas was somehow able to make the term "Aggies" an insult. Can't tell you how many Aggie jokes I heard living there.

Mescalero

Weak as in TAMU ... no slam on you intended. I don't have a dog in the fight (can't stand UT, excuse me, I mean UTexas). Just always thought the Aggies could come up with something better than "tea sipper" as a put down. I mean Texas was somehow able to make the term "Aggies" an insult. Can't tell you how many Aggie jokes I heard living there.
That's part of the issue for the SEC and another "why?" I know that money doesn't have feelings or generational/cultural animosities, but two SEC members, TAMU and Mizzou left the Big 12 (and Colorado left) because of Texas. They don't have a history of playing nice in the sandbox. Literally a week prior to this announcement or rumor, they forced the Big 12 to make the horns down gesture a 15 yard penalty.

PillsburyDoughboy

Im just surprised the timing of this and Steve Sarkisians head coaching assignment at Texas has not been discussed. :)

PillsburyDoughboy

You don't get it do you? FOOOOTBALLLLL.
Whats not to get? Teams like the vols , Mississippi State ,Missouri South Carolina have failed to be relevant in the SEC in a really long time and or have spotted successes. Vandy and KY have never been a impact on the SEC and Texas A&M is just starting to see some light at a very dark end of a tunnel. Give Lane Kiffin a few more years of recruiting and I expect him to have Ole Miss back into some shape of quality play.
What part of that do I not get?

Zulu

That's part of the issue for the SEC and another "why?" I know that money doesn't have feelings or generational/cultural animosities, but two SEC members, TAMU and Mizzou left the Big 12 (and Colorado left) because of Texas. They don't have a history of playing nice in the sandbox. Literally a week prior to this announcement or rumor, they forced the Big 12 to make the horns down gesture a 15 yard penalty.
You touched on my main concern. I think Oklahoma will be a decent enough fit. Texas, on the other hand, is toxic. It was their attitude of superiority that was behind the breakup of the old Southwest Conference. Then they went and joined the Big-8, turned it into the Big-12, and ruined it. For years the B8 was a top conference; the Oklahoma-Nebraska game had national champion implications nearly ever year. Texas comes in, pressures them to move the HQ from St. Louis to Dallas, and starts demanding special treatment. Teams start dropping like flies. Now with Texas and OU leaving, the remaining 8 teams in the Big-12 are screwed. I just hope the SEC is strong enough to keep Texas in its place.

But, I read that each team's conference payout is going from $48 million to $60 million, so I guess that's what really matters.

Mescalero

Rumors are swirling. I wish the Big Ten had a commissioner as strong as and with the vision of Sankey. Kevin Warren leaves much to be desired. Too bad Jim Delaney didn't delay retirement for a few more years. Gene Smith, OSU's AD, was quoted last week at media days that Warren's name was not on the Big Ten search committee's list of 9 commissioner candidates. Gene would know since he chaired the committee. "I have no idea how Warren got the job." He literally said that on air. That was a shot across the bow.

Allegedly UT and OU approached the Big Ten the same time they approached the SEC. Big Ten was interested in Texas, but not OU because OU isn't an AAU member. Another rumor is USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Colorado have reached out to the Big Ten. USC said to be pushing hard. Who knows. I don't want UCLA. That would mean Cal. Lawrence Livermore Labs would be great along with the great academics and research, but no thanks to the CA political baggage that UCLA and Cal would bring. USC is private and doesn't bring the CA politics.

Big Ten Network pays out $55 million to each school. Ohio State and Michigan are not giving up over $1 billion each in research money for $5 million of football money. But the conference is going to have to respond, but that gets back to the ineffectual Kevin Warren.

Mescalero

Opening salvo. This is going to be litigated. You know what that means.

Maybe you don't. Turns out Sankey and Bowlsby were two of four members of the committee that came up with the expansion of the CFP to 12. All along, Sankey knew about the discussions with UT and OU. You know damn well ESPN did to. Not all members of that committee were working with the same information, so the other conferences won't agree with CFP expansion. And that's the whole basis for this realignment. ESPN also has a media rights deal with the Big 12. That's also known as a contract. That's also known as collusion to breach a contract. (RICO? Interstate commerce is implicated, and that's federal baby). There won't be any expansion of the CFP to 12 now. That means no way OU is getting in if it's competing in the SEC. Texas couldn't get in when competing in the Big 12. Injunctions, litigation, collusion. Get out your popcorn and make sure you have a lot. This is going to take a while. Messy, messy, messy.

Maybe having an ineffectual and joke of a commissioner will work out for the Big Ten. Imagine that irony.

wayne

Opening salvo. This is going to be litigated. You know what that means.

Maybe you don't. Turns out Sankey and Bowlsby were two of four members of the committee that came up with the expansion of the CFP to 12. All along, Sankey knew about the discussions with UT and OU. You know damn well ESPN did to. Not all members of that committee were working with the same information, so the other conferences won't agree with CFP expansion. And that's the whole basis for this realignment. ESPN also has a media rights deal with the Big 12. That's also known as a contract. That's also known as collusion to breach a contract. (RICO? Interstate commerce is implicated, and that's federal baby). There won't be any expansion of the CFP to 12 now. That means no way OU is getting in if it's competing in the SEC. Texas couldn't get in when competing in the Big 12. Injunctions, litigation, collusion. Get out your popcorn and make sure you have a lot. This is going to take a while. Messy, messy, messy.

Maybe having an ineffectual and joke of a commissioner will work out for the Big Ten. Imagine that irony.

It's not about what you know, it's about what you can prove.

Mescalero

American Hustle is on my list of top 10 best movies ever. That was a hilarious scene in the movie and equally hilarious again.

I'm in love with Jane Slater too.

Mescalero

No one else has chimed in. Which is doubly ironic. It was a hilarious scene in the movie. But you all know what happens to Bradley Cooper's character in the end right?

Mescalero

Me thinks the Law of Unintended Consequences yet again for the billionth time rears it's head. Suck on that Sankey and The Walt Disney Company.

You guys do realize you are owned by The Walt Disney Company. Right? Buehler? Buehler? Oh the irony. Love it.

Latest posts