Sooners and Longhorns to the SEC?

Displaced_Vol

I'm so behind on all this. Quick thoughts I can put together operating without up to date info and gossip:

Shouldn't the big 10 just hustle out to the PAC 10 (or 12 or whatever the hell they are now) and start their own recruiting? They're the ones that tried to skip football all together last year and the SEC just sh!t all over that idea.

Soon as I heard this my first thought was that the SEC ought to go get Clemson and FSU and lock them down.

How many super conferences do we need? 4 seems too close to the current 5. So, 3 maybe 2? SEC & ACC join up entirely?

I don't know I lost a lot of my fire for college sports last year but this is definitely intriguing.

Mescalero

I'm so behind on all this. Quick thoughts I can put together operating without up to date info and gossip:

Shouldn't the big 10 just hustle out to the PAC 10 (or 12 or whatever the hell they are now) and start their own recruiting? They're the ones that tried to skip football all together last year and the SEC just sh!t all over that idea.

Soon as I heard this my first thought was that the SEC ought to go get Clemson and FSU and lock them down.

How many super conferences do we need? 4 seems too close to the current 5. So, 3 maybe 2? SEC & ACC join up entirely?

I don't know I lost a lot of my fire for college sports last year but this is definitely intriguing.
Oh it's on the way.

Enjoy your marriage with the devil.

Mescalero

Which ones the debil? Not being a smart ass lol just curious. Like I said I'm off my game
ESPN is calling the shots. Sankey is a sociopathic stooge. ESPN is a second tier subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. The SEC is owned by Disney. That's a fact now. No one can dispute that. The Devil comes in all forms and the SEC is owned.

Displaced_Vol

Gotcha. Does ESPN/Disney have enough juice left to call these kind of shots or are they just along for the ride? ESPN seems to be in a decline, no? Plus wasn't the Longhorn network an espn deal also so are they just moving money from one account to another?
Again, I really don't know but from what little ive paid attention I got the impression ESPN couldn't get out of its own way the last couple years. Losing talent and ratings at a pretty good clip I thought, but could be wrong. Is ABC the head of that snake or is it Disney?
Are most of the Big 10 games on the regional Fox Sports networks?

Mescalero

Gotcha. Does ESPN/Disney have enough juice left to call these kind of shots or are they just along for the ride? ESPN seems to be in a decline, no? Plus wasn't the Longhorn network an espn deal also so are they just moving money from one account to another?
Again, I really don't know but from what little ive paid attention I got the impression ESPN couldn't get out of its own way the last couple years. Losing talent and ratings at a pretty good clip I thought, but could be wrong. Is ABC the head of that snake or is it Disney?
Are most of the Big 10 games on the regional Fox Sports networks?
Hey Displaced Vol, maybe one too many Titos and blackberry ice last night. Just a tad over, perhaps?

I find your posts to be among the more balanced and intelligent in this forum. This is a long one.

I think there is a lot involved here, NIL, scheduled changes and developments in media rights regarding college football, but also other sports, NCAA incompetence (and increasing irrelevance, ultimately terminal?). NASCAR expansion could be an interesting comparison. Sankey (and ESPN is co-leading or following at a minimum) decided to try and claim a first-mover advantage (more below). Let me respond to your questions and elaborate further. After all, it's July 31. Can;t wait for Fall camps to start next week so we all can move on -- for now.

No, Big Ten games aren't on Fox regional networks. Fox Sports, owned by Fox, Inc., as is Fox News, sold off those networks a few years ago. The Big Ten currently has a media rights deal with Fox Sports and ESPN. It was a $3.1 B deal signed in 2017, expires 2024. Big Ten/Fox Sports also owns BTN (Big Ten Network). The SEC's deal with CBS ends in 2023, and it signed a 10 year media rights deal with ESPN as its exclusive partner. That is a $3 B deal. SEC/ESPN also owns the SEC Network. ESPN also owns the ACC Network and is the exclusive media rights partner in a deal that doesn't end until 2036. Fox and ESPN also own media rights to Big 12 (ends 2025) and PAC 12 (ends 2024). Both the Big Ten and PAC 12 media rights deals with both Fox and ESPN (Fox owns @ 75% of both) expiring in 2024, given the Big Ten' and PAC 12's traditional relatoinship, including similar academic and research focus, AAU membership requirements (unlike the SEC, Big 12, and to a lesser extent the ACC, the Big Ten and PAC 12 are not solely athletic conferences, they also serve as academic alliances and research consortiums for the member universities. The Big Ten in 2019 generated almost $12 billion in research revenue, while athletics generated $2 billion). So, I think the Big Ten will try to strike either some kind of scheduling arrangement with the PAC 12 or some form of merger or acquistion by the Big Ten. There's also just more of a cultural fit for the "bow ties" of both conferences. I see the SEC eventually acquiring Clemson, FSU, Miami, and probably at least one more ACC school. But that ACC grant of rights goes to 2036, so those will be expensive.

ESPN's role in this is troublesome. Yes, The Walt Disney Company is the common parent corporation of an affiliated group of media, film, and entertainment businesses. It owns ABC, which owns ESPN. The common parent ultimately calls the shots and is informed., if you know what's good for your career.

In 2020, the Big Ten paid out $54.3 M to each school, next was the SEC at $45.5 M (that's probably going up to $60 M in 2023, but 14 members + 2 new come 2025 or sooner). So, that's the top tier by far. Big 12 was at $38 M (but both Fox and ESPN declined to exercise early negotiation rights for a new deal earlier this year, so they were both getting out come 2025). PAC 12 and ACC were both @ $33 M (ACC stuck with that bad deal with ESPN until 2036!!!!!! PAC 12 out in 2024, but it's got to get something with the Big Ten to survive as a P5 football conference.) That Big Ten deal ends in 2024 (as does the PAC 12's). I think Fox pays big for an exclusive deal. It would be coast-to-coast and relegate the SEC/ESPN to regional. But, cable, Direct TV, Dish, etc., those are "linear" networks. I cut the cord and stream. Many others have, and more do so each day. Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, You Tube TV, etc. are where I think it's all going. I'd much rather partner with the very deep pockets of Amazon than ESPN and that should be clearer come 2024.

I don't blame OU or UT. They were the only reason for the Big 12 getting what it was getting, and after both Fox and ESPN declined early renegotiation rights, the writing was on the wall.

I think that's the landscape and we might just end up come mid/late 2020s with sort of an NFL type set up. Two conferences - one, former Big Ten and PAC 12 schools, probably a few former ACC schools, and another former SEC, Big 12, and ACC schools.

The irony is, I really believe Greg Sankey engaged in unethical behavior, and so did ESPN (and ESPN's may very well rise to the level of breach of contract, tortious interference, or even federal unfair trade practices vs either its contractual partner the Big 12 and/or Fox Sports). He was a part of a 4 member sub-committee of the CFP, along with Bob Bowlsby the Big 12 commissioner. The SEC, OU, UT started working on this back in Dec/Jan. ESPN had to know. Sankey obviously knew. He keeps this from Bowlsby the whole time, they work out an expansion plan to 12 (which would only benefit the SEC and maybe the Big Ten), they announce that expansion in June, and then OU and UT and the SEC drop the bomb in July during Big 12 media days. Well, that expansion isn't going to happen now. Sankey's unethical behavior torpedoed the plan he manipulated.

CFP media rights are up at the end of the 2025-26 season.

Displaced_Vol

I did well to keep up with UT's dumpster fire of a season last year, I am way out of the loop on who carried what games and how long they had deals to do it. It's interesting and seems like it takes a fair bit of homework just to keep up with it all! Frankly the obnoxious presence of politics in all things sports really made me just tune out for most all of it but that's neither here nor there.

I remember you talking about Big10 research money in the past. what's the source of the research money? Are they grants? Point being: are 10 million worth of research dollars "worth" less than 5 million of athletic revenue because the athletic revenue comes with fewer restrictions on how its spent? That's not a jab at Big 10 it's just not something I've ever given any thought.

I get the feeling like the SEC and OU/Texas have decided to say to hell with all current media deals, we're moving in this direction and this new conference will be so valuable everybody will get in line…are you saying ESPN is the one that put this train down the tracks? Maybe so I have no clue.

I don't know, but I don't love it. You mentioned NIL and that's part of my feelings on all this too..I'm just not wild about the direction of the sport. It is intriguing to see how it all will play out though no doubt.

Last edited:

Displaced_Vol

The bad part of this expansion is it means another 2 losses for Tennessee annually and they will lose their privilege of being known as "UT" because Texas is more relevant and is more widely known by that abbreviation.😎
Now hold on at best it will only be one more, we don't play every team in the west every year!

PalsPal

Now hold on at best it will only be one more, we don't play every team in the west every year!

You realize that Bama will get moved to the east, and there will be no more east/west regular season games, right?

And Voila, Bama never plays either of the newbies, LSU, A&M, etc until the SEC champ game. This just makes it easier for Bama to get into the playoff.

It's just another reason why college football is at an all-time low and will continue down that path along with all of the professional sports.

Last year, sports SHOULD have been a prominent topic in people's everyday lives. Instead it declined! Many "normal" people have learned that they there are other things in life that can replace the time they once spent watching inflated egos play a game.

It will be interesting when a college player opts out of a senior season or quits football altogether because they had already cashed in on NIL payments.

Displaced_Vol

You realize that Bama will get moved to the east, and there will be no more east/west regular season games, right?

That was just a bit of self deprecating humor on my part. As I've already demonstrated I am not up to speed on all these changes by any stretch. I definitely agree with the gist of your post though.

PillsburyDoughboy

And Voila, Bama never plays either of the newbies, LSU, A&M, etc until the SEC champ game. This just makes it easier for Bama to get into the playoff.

It's just another reason why college football is at an all-time low and will continue down that path along with all of the professional sports.

Last year, sports SHOULD have been a prominent topic in people's everyday lives. Instead it declined! Many "normal" people have learned that they there are other things in life that can replace the time they once spent watching inflated egos play a game.

It will be interesting when a college player opts out of a senior season or quits football altogether because they had already cashed in on NIL payments.
I honestly hope that ALABAMA stays right where they are at . I look forward to Texas and Oklahoma coming in and adding some strength to the schedule. I think the only people in the SEC that should be worried are the programs that are on the losing end of things .

Lets be real. With the Exception of the Texas A&M and Florida games , ALABAMA is not getting a very good read with the current schedule of where they are at with the strength of the program until they hit Atlanta and get into the Championships. You might as well call all those other games glorified scrimmage matches at this point because all they are doing is going out there on Saturday and working out players , working out plays and finding roles for the players to see how they match up.

Latest posts