Something odd about bream fillets

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
The last time I cleaned some bream I noticed the meat had an "off" color to it.
I have cleaned and eaten thousands and thousands of bream, literally.
This is the first time I have ever seen this.
Instead of the "whitish yellow" the meat usually is, it was more of a darker, almost brownish color.
I didn't think anything about it but I did notice when we ate the fish, had a few different species, that the bream was definitely "off flavor".
To me bream have a "sweet" flavor and this was definitely more bland.
Talked to a buddy and he said he has seen the darker meat on bream several times.
Just seemed odd to me that this was a first for me.
Just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

KyRick

I have seen it a few times as well. I have never noticed a difference in taste, but have seen the darker color meat. Never thought much about it other than "huh".

WTM

its a spore that gets in the meat and turns it a brownish cooked color. ky lake used to be bad about having worm parasites. i havent seen that in years but bluball said he found some in crappie recently. caused by snails and blue heron poop.

rsimms

Yes, we see that occasionally in the bluegill we catch below Chickamauga Dam. I have no idea what causes it however. I just know if you see one like that while cleaning them, throw it away (or save it for catfish bait. ;) )

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
rsimms":3baii56u said:
Yes, we see that occasionally in the bluegill we catch below Chickamauga Dam. I have no idea what causes it however. I just know if you see one like that while cleaning them, throw it away (or save it for catfish bait. ;) )

I told my buddy that if I noticed it again I would chunk the fish, it tasted that different.

Latest posts