Bream... Help me out here

Sako

My dad is coming into town next week and he loves fried bream better than anything... I can catch plenty smaller ones with 1 inch gulp minnows fishing blow downs around the edge of the lake but i would like to get into some of the bigger ones you guys have been catching... School me would ya... I assume a lot of the bigger ones are coming in deeper water, is this correct?

thanks

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Man I wish you were closer I could hook you up and you wouldn't even have to go fishing. :D

I am NOT a river fisherman so I don't know if I can help you or not.

This time of the year, or any time they are not on bed, I basically "bass fish" for them.
Beat the bank, throw around structure, all that jazz.
I normally target 2-3' deep water and fish about 6" off the bottom.
Pitch it in, give it a few twitches, then reel it back in and pitch another spot. I don't just throw it out and let it set.

Deeper structure should be holding them now as well.
I cheat and use livescope to rule in / out those areas. If they are there I fish, if not I beat the bank.

Remeber this as it is the most important part.
Cricket is king.

Sako

I live on Melton Hill and that is what I do a lot but I am going to have to try to find some crickets... thanks for the info

redblood

Listen to Ruger. He knows his stuff on gills. I dont target them but catch previous few. Crappie are much easier for me with sonar. Bluegill never seem to stop moving. Crappie just sit there like big blobs

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I live on Melton Hill and that is what I do a lot but I am going to have to try to find some crickets... thanks for the info
From watching youtube and stuff I have learned that apparently a 7 1/2" - 8" bream out of that lake is not something that happens alot.

Good luck !

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Man I wish you were closer I could hook you up and you wouldn't even have to go fishing. :D

I am NOT a river fisherman so I don't know if I can help you or not.

This time of the year, or any time they are not on bed, I basically "bass fish" for them.
Beat the bank, throw around structure, all that jazz.
I normally target 2-3' deep water and fish about 6" off the bottom.
Pitch it in, give it a few twitches, then reel it back in and pitch another spot. I don't just throw it out and let it set.

Deeper structure should be holding them now as well.
I cheat and use livescope to rule in / out those areas. If they are there I fish, if not I beat the bank.

Remeber this as it is the most important part.
Cricket is king.
They were up on some beds 3 weeks ago. I found a small one loaded with white dots and caught about 15 nice ones although they weren't super aggressive. They just didn't bite like they do in MAY

WTM

melton hill probably wont have many of the larger gills. the cooler water keeps production low. tou might be better searching for some shellcrackens.

if it were me id try to hit the spots and limit up on them. taste fairly close to gills and more close to shellcrackens.

Sako

From watching youtube and stuff I have learned that apparently a 7 1/2" - 8" bream out of that lake is not something that happens alot.

Good luck !
That is what I am afraid of but we will give it a go anyway... I am too lazy to hook up the trailer and drag the boat somewhere else when I can just walk out and turn a lever and get it and go... :)

Have you ever tried the Gulp crickets?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
That is what I am afraid of but we will give it a go anyway... I am too lazy to hook up the trailer and drag the boat somewhere else when I can just walk out and turn a lever and get it and go... :)

Have you ever tried the Gulp crickets?
I have and caught some but I didn't really give them a fair chance.