So it turns out Massengill isn’t the only douche in the world.

Ski

They know what I know. They probably know I harvested the one I did 2 years ago out of "their" spot and don't want me repeating this year. Only problem is I've seen him. He's taller and just as wide. I ain't going nowhere. I'll just stay mobile in my saddle. That's how I got the first one. I just got lazy and thought I could get a jump on him. I learned my lesson. All in all it was a positive experience. Well worth the cost of tuition. And I graduated. Trust me. Just glad I did it before muzzle loader. Just sayin'!!

Hope you get him and the jersey doesn't. I couldn't imagine trying to screw with someone else's hunt over any buck. Once a man spends his I integrity, it's gone. Mine is worth more than a deer.

ImThere

You know what would be funny if they set up that POS stand at night and didn't see your lock on. When they come back to hunt it and see your stand they think your are the douche!! LMAO.
I've had a lot of out of area guys come and hunt near my stands on public land. They assume I done the scouting so they set up on it.

You know what would be funny if they set up that POS stand at night and didn't see your lock on. When they come back to hunt it and see your stand they think your are the douche!! LMAO.
😆😆😆
I took my lock on down and brought it out. They can think they won. I'm still going to hunt that buck, just not from a lock on.

MidTennFisher

I wouldn't care if I saw a lock on stand and 4 trail cams there. If nobody is in that stand, that means I got there first and it's my spot for the morning or evening if I really wanted to hunt it.

Last year I killed a deer in a WMA spot that had a trail camera and lots of flagging tape. Of course, I removed the litter (flagging tape) multiple times and it kept showing back up. Obviously someone else was quite interested in that spot but as long as nobody was there before me, it was my spot for the day. And I did wind up killing a deer in there on an October afternoon last year.

One time I literally used my climber and went up a tree with a lock on that was like 25ft up. I only climbed 15ft or so, but that was the best tree in the area and I was there first. I've got no real issue with someone leaving a stand on a WMA, if it's legal in that state, but to think that means they have any sort of claim to the area is beyond ridiculous.

UTGrad

Sorry bud but it is public land. I pack in and pack out every hunt. I've gone in on a key spot I have hunted on public to find someone hung a stand, which is against the WMA rules. I set up my Lone Wolf 20 yards from that stand. I was hoping he would walk in with no stand on his back to find I was sitting right there. What's he going to do? Tough chit bud its public land that you don't own. If you hang a stand, don't assume you own that spot.

DeerCamp

The few times I've run into existing stands on public, I don't let it affect my hunt unless someone is in it, in which case I bounce back the way I came as quietly as I can.

I grew up hunting out west where it would have been uncommon NOT to spot other hunters. One time I watched these 2 guys across a canyon both shoot at the same deer and get in a fight about which one had killed it. Good times.

hoghunter65

I hunt a lot of public land, Ive learned over the past 50 years, don't hunt on weekends, people will be walking all over you, This sat muzzleloader opens, I be sitting in the recliner watching college football, Sunday the NFL, but Monday through Thursday its all day, every day in the woods, and I pretty much have them to myself.

AT Hiker

The few times I've run into existing stands on public, I don't let it affect my hunt unless someone is in it, in which case I bounce back the way I came as quietly as I can.

I grew up hunting out west where it would have been uncommon NOT to spot other hunters. One time I watched these 2 guys across a canyon both shoot at the same deer and get in a fight about which one had killed it. Good times.
I did a backpack hunt several years back in the Rockies. Solid 7 miles in of foot/horse travel only. A piece of private land butted up to it about 10 miles in with two-tracks all over it. On day 2 I heard a 4-wheeler, dude drove it in from the private ground and onto the public (perfectly legal, sorta). He drove right by me as I was set up glassing a basin, about an hour later he came back through but seen me. He stopped and asked me "what are you doing here? I have hunted this spot for years and nobody is supposed to be here. The only way in is through the ranch I came in on. How did you get here, where is your sxs?"
I said " good morning and pointed at my feet".

He must have rode that quad around for another 3 hours, intentionally riding near the basin I was in. Obviously, I walked out of that basin and found another one, then killed a deer in it the day morning.
I was just mind blown he thought it was his place and wasted his time and fuel trying to screw my hunt up. Tens of thousands of acres he could have hunted but dude was helll bent on screwing me over.

AT Hiker

I just do my best to not get bent out of shape over this stuff anymore. It's hard to do but life is short and hunting is supposed to be enjoyable. My goal is to go to sleep at night with nothing on my conscience.

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't forget to pet the sweaty stuff, thats a good motto;)

Lost Lake

Sorry bud but it is public land. I pack in and pack out every hunt. I've gone in on a key spot I have hunted on public to find someone hung a stand, which is against the WMA rules. I set up my Lone Wolf 20 yards from that stand. I was hoping he would walk in with no stand on his back to find I was sitting right there. What's he going to do? Tough chit bud its public land that you don't own. If you hang a stand, don't assume you own that spot.
Last year, and the year before as well, a friend and I had hunters come in on us 30 minutes after daylight. One had left his stand, so he just inch wormed up the tree and stared at my buddy. We had come in before light, and had no idea someone else had left a stand there. No vehicles parked nearby.

The next day in a different spot, another came in on me, led by his phone in his hand. No doubt being guided by a hunting app. He finally saw me about fifty yards away and just stared for a half hour. Then shrugged his shoulders and sat down on his hunting stool. Mexican standoff.

This was a draw hunt that people drive considerable distance for, so I guess they feel that entitles them to bend the rules of etiquette. Occasionally it's happened in years past, but for the last 10 years or so, I've encountered a new breed of hunter on draw hunts.

Following rules, and etiquette, seems like a problem these days.

Ski

I was just mind blown he thought it was his place and wasted his time and fuel trying to screw my hunt up. Tens of thousands of acres he could have hunted but dude was helll bent on screwing me over.

People suck. Seems to be getting worse and worse. No idea what urges somebody to purposely hinder, hurt, or bother other people but they do. What a horrible life a guy must have that he wants to ruin everybody else's day.

DIRTTRAX

Last year, and the year before as well, a friend and I had hunters come in on us 30 minutes after daylight. One had left his stand, so he just inch wormed up the tree and stared at my buddy. We had come in before light, and had no idea someone else had left a stand there. No vehicles parked nearby.

The next day in a different spot, another came in on me, led by his phone in his hand. No doubt being guided by a hunting app. He finally saw me about fifty yards away and just stared for a half hour. Then shrugged his shoulders and sat down on his hunting stool. Mexican standoff.

This was a draw hunt that people drive considerable distance for, so I guess they feel that entitles them to bend the rules of etiquette. Occasionally it's happened in years past, but for the last 10 years or so, I've encountered a new breed of hunter on draw hunts.

Following rules, and etiquette, seems like a problem these days.
That's why I keep a coyote call in my pocket. If you want to come in on me and set down great we will go from deer hunting to coyote calling real quick lol

Biggun4214

I hunted private property several years ago and had a man that seemed to show up anywhere that I killed a deer. Fortunately the property was large enough that I could go farther n than he was willing to go and still kill deer.

CHRIS WILSON

ladder stands have no business on public land. no stand should be left in the tree- to me that littering (on public land of course).
All I hunt is public and the ladder stand issue is one thing that burns me up. On one piece of public that I hunt, I can take you to six different ladder stands that I know of that have been hauled into the woods and left for multiple seasons now. Folks spend the time and effort to haul them in but are too lazy to put in the effort to haul them out. I view it no differently than someone just dumping their trash on the side of the road.

Latest posts