So it turns out Massengill isn’t the only douche in the world.

Hear me out.

I get it. Ok. I get it. I wasn't supposed to do it. I get it.

So back in August I went and hung a set where I killed the big 8 point 2 years ago. It's on public. Yes, I know, you're not supposed to do that. I guess I gave in to the "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" mentality. I planned on waiting to hunt it until the wind, weather, and timing was right.

That was today. EVERYTHING was right.

Well, unfortunately "was" is the key word in that sentence.

I am walking up to the tree and I notice something's not right.

Are you kidding me?

I waited until I got in the stand to take a picture.

6CA0E995-7F19-4EAB-B26E-1EEC3D37AC3A.jpeg

What a douche!! You know good and well they saw my lock on. Probably why they put it there.

And of course, not a lick of sign anywhere. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. They blew the whole oak flat wide open!

Oh well, guess that's what I get for thinking it was ok.

Lesson learned.

Man that broke my heart.

Ok. I'm done whinin'.

Have a good evenin' everyone.

P.S. Don't be a douche!!

Hduke86

Well I'll be the first to say I don't care if a stand is there. If you're NOT there I'll be in that tree I was eyeing. I used to find a different area BUT I have no idea how long that stand has been there so now I'll hunt wherever. Prime example, there's been a ground blind up at Yuchi I know for 3-4 weeks at the beginning of a good draw. Yuchi is a quota hunt so it's not like they hunt there every week. I say all that to say if you're not in the tree then fair game.

Ps that ladder stand looks like it's leaning downhill. You may find them dead next time you go to the stand

Well I'll be the first to say I don't care if a stand is there. If you're NOT there I'll be in that tree I was eyeing. I used to find a different area BUT I have no idea how long that stand has been there so now I'll hunt wherever. Prime example, there's been a ground blind up at Yuchi I know for 3-4 weeks at the beginning of a good draw. Yuchi is a quota hunt so it's not like they hunt there every week. I say all that to say if you're not in the tree then fair game.

Ps that ladder stand looks like it's leaning downhill. You may find them dead next time you go to the stand
I completely agree. I sat the evening till dark. And yes, the seat is leaning very bad. No way I'd sit in that stand set up like that.

I get that it's public. I personally try and leave people to their spots. There's plenty of other places to hunt.

Hduke86

I completely agree. I sat the evening till dark. And yes, the seat is leaning very bad. No way I'd sit in that stand set up like that.

I get that it's public. I personally try and leave people to their spots. There's plenty of other places to hunt.
Oh I hear ya, maybe they sat it up in the cover of darkness and that's why it's leaning and they didn't see your lock on or maybe they said "must be deer here with that lock on". Who knows

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
What makes it "someone's spot?" The public land that I hunt is small segments, and many times there are only 1-2 trees in any given area that can be used. I carry my climbing stand in and out as I hunt, and I've had people hang lock-ons and ladders in the only climbable tree in an area. You'd better believe that I'll use that stand or setup near it if it is in a place that I've scouted out to hunt… unless I truly think that they've ruined the spot

If I go in to hunt an area I want to do it with the right wind for how I've scouted it, but some people believe that they can wear scent killer clothes and sprays and hunt whatever wind they want. It's sloppy, silly, and frustrating, but it's public land hunting. Some people can only hunt when they can hunt, and they will try to make something work even when they SHOULD know that it will not work

What makes it "someone's spot?" The public land that I hunt is small segments, and many times there are only 1-2 trees in any given area that can be used. I carry my climbing stand in and out as I hunt, and I've had people hang lock-ons and ladders in the only climbable tree in an area. You'd better believe that I'll use that stand or setup near it if it is in a place that I've scouted out to hunt… unless I truly think that they've ruined the spot

If I go in to hunt an area I want to do it with the right wind for how I've scouted it, but some people believe that they can wear scent killer clothes and sprays and hunt whatever wind they want. It's sloppy, silly, and frustrating, but it's public land hunting. Some people can only hunt when they can hunt, and they will try to make something work even when they SHOULD know that it will not work
"What makes it "someone's spot?""

Nothing. It is public land, 100%. I guess I see it more as a courtesy between hunters. If I see someone setup I go a fair distance away or to another spot. I get it that not everyone is like that.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
"What makes it "someone's spot?""

Nothing. It is public land, 100%. I guess I see it more as a courtesy between hunters. If I see someone setup I go a fair distance away or to another spot. I get it that not everyone is like that.
I see what your saying, and I'm not trying to argue, but I take my setup with me when I go… this way you won't know if it's "my spot" unless I leave a lock-on or ladder. So I am at a disadvantage because I don't try to claim a spot, but really my courtesy to others is to not claim a spot. The tracts that I hunt don't allow for wide berth

I see what your saying, and I'm not trying to argue, but I take my setup with me when I go… this way you won't know if it's "my spot" unless I leave a lock-on or ladder. So I am at a disadvantage because I don't try to claim a spot, but really my courtesy to others is to not claim a spot. The tracts that I hunt don't allow for wide berth
That's the way I have been till this year. This was my first attempt to prepare a spot before season. I won't do it again. This was the first lock on I've hung since starting to saddle hunt 5 years ago.

For what purpose could make all that effort worthwhile?
They know what I know. They probably know I harvested the one I did 2 years ago out of "their" spot and don't want me repeating this year. Only problem is I've seen him. He's taller and just as wide. I ain't going nowhere. I'll just stay mobile in my saddle. That's how I got the first one. I just got lazy and thought I could get a jump on him. I learned my lesson. All in all it was a positive experience. Well worth the cost of tuition. And I graduated. Trust me. Just glad I did it before muzzle loader. Just sayin'!!

Latest posts