Smoked Ribeye Roast for Mother's Day

TAFKAP

Mrs. TAFKAP loves a prime rib, but it's something we've never tried doing before. I saw some PRIME roasts at Costco this weekend, but didn't feel like dropping $100 for a 4 lb. prime rib. So I went with a choice boneless ribeye roast instead. Going by Chaneylake's temperature model from his 3-bone prime rib, my boneless was slightly more pink than I'd prefer, but still perfectly tender and juicy.

Appx. 3.8 lb. boneless ribeye roast from Costco
Liberally salted & peppered the day before, with a light sprinkling of garlic powder.
Lit a fire with "Chef's Choice" hickory briquettes, some split cherry, and a couple pecan chunks.
Smoked about an hour until the fire burned out....smoke chamber was about 225°.
Popped in a 325° oven to hit 120° internal.....then let it rest.
About an hour later when all the sides were coming together, 15 mins in a 500° oven.
The highest internal temp I saw was 130°.

For the au jus, I simmered two cans of Campbell's beef consommé with a whole sliced shallot & a stick of rosemary. Removed all that and spooned it over the mashed potatoes and sliced meat. It was delicious.

TAFKAP

8E64BB2E-C1F0-40E6-BDE7-4242AEA2DA98.jpeg

gtk

Staff member
Looks great.

they had those at our local supermarket the other day, for $48. I bought one and cut into steaks (got about 7 thick ones). I should'a bought another to smoke !

Latest posts