Smoked Chuck Roast

Shag

I went grocery shopping Saturday morning and ran across a nice looking 2.5 pound chuck roast for 7 bucks at Food Lion. Wasn't really sure what I wanted to do with it. But I brought it home, salted, peppered and put it in the fridge about noon Saturday. Decided Sunday morning I'd try smoking it on my Weber charcoal grill via the snake method.
IMG_1894.jpeg

IMG_1895.jpeg

Added red oak chunks to the charcoal and got it in the grill about 3:00. Checked the temp at 5:00 and it was 165 so I pulled it and wrapped in butcher paper. Back on the grill for another hour and it hit 200. Wrapped in foil and put it in a cooler to rest for an hour.

I wasn't really sure what to expect. It wasn't up there with MY brisket by any means. But it was better than MOST of the crap they call brisket at BBQ places around here. My wife said it was the best beef she's ever eaten! But she likes pot roast. And, to me, it was a smoked pot roast…kinda stringy and a little too fatty that didn't melt in just right.
IMG_1896.jpeg

But for 7 bucks and zero hands on time, I have zero complaints.
IMG_1897.jpeg

Served with Argentina red chimichuri sauce, caprese salad and some basil pesto couscous.

ADR

Looks wonderful!
If you get another one like that and you have a sous vide, put on 133 for ~28 hours then sear on the grill at 500-700 for 30-60 sec per side.

Shag

All I want for Christmas is another brisket! It's been YEARS since you did one and dammit its time!
🤣 It has been awhile! I think the last one I did was that Christmas when it was 10 degrees that night and the wind was whipping straight from the north, right on the smoker. I had to throw together a plywood shack around the smoker to make a wind break for it.

I've about figured out my new big smoker now. I'll try to do one around Christmas if I can get a free 24 hours to baby sit it and tend the fire.