Signs we like to see

DaveB

Federal 210 Primers under $30.00 per thousand.

Federal 215 primers $33.15 per thousand.

CCI 400's under $28.00

Reloader 15 in quantity under 28 a pound.

I can practically hear the logjam breaking

Hunter 257W

Deer Assassin":20x8167p said:
just not a fan of fed primers
they work fine though
i hate the way they package them

i have several I got through some wheeling and dealing

i do like cci though

They do take up a lot of space packed the way they are! I've never used them except in my 2 Weatherby's and wouldn't do that with the 257 unless I already had a good size stash that I bought for the 460 and it's 120 grain powder charges.

It is nice to see more and more reloading components in-stock again for a change!!!

DaveB

Need to get some TNDeer user reviews about the Hornady hardware, I am not hearing news of any kind--good/bad/indifferent.

I have the square Lee, the round Lee, and the RCBS automatic bench primer tool. You would be surprised which one gives me the least amount of misery.

DaveB

Jlanecr--
Some details if you don't mind;;;;
1. Ease of loading primers from package to tray. Since not all primers are aligned, how do you get them in that state?

2. I read the seating pressure is minimal. Have you ever exerted too much pressure and collapsed a primer or had it light off? Ever try to force that event?

3. Can you feel the primer being seated? Have you primed multiple-times-shot 223 brass?

4. When seating large rifle or magnum primers any "feel" at all?

Many thanks

mr.big

I picked up the Lee primer tool and it works great with small primers but something broke first time I tried the large primer attachment

jlanecr500

DaveB":3dbhtav3 said:
Jlanecr--
Some details if you don't mind;;;;
1. Ease of loading primers from package to tray. Since not all primers are aligned, how do you get them in that state?

2. I read the seating pressure is minimal. Have you ever exerted too much pressure and collapsed a primer or had it light off? Ever try to force that event?

3. Can you feel the primer being seated? Have you primed multiple-times-shot 223 brass?

4. When seating large rifle or magnum primers any "feel" at all?

Many thanks

Primers are loaded into the tray. The tray is then lightly shaken side to side to right the primers. Then it is closed and the primer flow switch set to the off position.

Seating pressure has excellent feel, similar to my hand primers. I am sure that you can flatten primers given enough force as I have done it with my rcbs hand primer in some of my sml modules that had loose pockets due to shooting duplex loads.

Leverage isn't so great that you lose feel at all.

My 223 is a bolt gun and I use quality brass. I've had no.problems. I haven't tried priming previously crimped cases.

Hunter 257W

jlanecr500":31fvrrq7 said:
Lee has a new primer tool that is bench mounted. It is designed to auto orient primers so packaging isn't a big deal anymore.

http://ultimatereloader.com/2016/08/05/ ... 308-cases/

120gr in a 460 Weatherby Magnum is a compressed charge that requires a mag primer. I'm up to 155gr in my sml with a 350gr projectile at 3200fps around 58kpsi. Mag primers are required for sure.

You sure that's enough gun for deer??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jlanecr500

Hunter 257W":22hq20wm said:
jlanecr500":22hq20wm said:
Lee has a new primer tool that is bench mounted. It is designed to auto orient primers so packaging isn't a big deal anymore.

http://ultimatereloader.com/2016/08/05/ ... 308-cases/

120gr in a 460 Weatherby Magnum is a compressed charge that requires a mag primer. I'm up to 155gr in my sml with a 350gr projectile at 3200fps around 58kpsi. Mag primers are required for sure.

You sure that's enough gun for deer??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Our goal is a kill at 800 to 1000 yards. The gun weighs 20 pounds, has a muzzle brake, and still packs a stout recoil so I won't be carrying it in the woods.

Hunter 257W

I keep meaning to look at the pictures of it that you posted on the Smokeless ML board at home - I can't see them here at work. I was picturing it more in the "Heavy Varmint" weight range not as heavy as 20 lbs. At 20lbs that is a lot more manageable than I imagined. Still I know it's going to jump when it goes BOOM! The 460 at about 12 lbs with a max powder charge and 300 grain bullets is just a nice heavy recoil but not painful. Definitely more than any deer rifle but nothing like the 500 grain "elephant" loads. Some of those bullets you are working with in your beast have surprisingly high BC's considering they are relatively light for caliber bullets. Being that I'm used to thinking of .458 bullets as dangerous game bullets it looks odd to see long pointy noses on that caliber!

Latest posts