Should farmers and other landowners be forced

csi-tech

As a deer hunter and landowner I can never see enough deer. The big hunting clubs around me have embraced the "kill all the does" philosophy and the result seems to have been bucks abandoning the area for more fertile grounds so to speak. Very little hunting pressure these days.

Doskil

I wonder who should get first priorty- hunters or non hunters who are negatively affected by white-tailed deer?

Especially now that some hunters are grumbling about deer numbers?

redblood

owners rights. I live in a dead end road on a big farm in a unit L county where the deer population is as high as anywhere in the state, I would wager. I see 40-60 deer out my window every morn and afternoon. I shot one doe all year, on the last afternoon just for meat. 20 deer in the field with her, not a one ran at the shot. The farmer who farms mine also farms the 1500 acres that surrounds me. I will not let him depredate on my land. I understand you can have too many deer, but I enjoy watching them. I think land owners have to trump

AT Hiker

Interesting question and is often a debate in many areas, especially parts of the country where migratory animals flee to private grounds for the winter.

Since we (TN) dont have migrating deer Id say its a fine balance. Crop damage is a serious problem in some areas, some producers do a fine job at handling it (ie, allowing hunters to kill off the deer) while others follow the law, sometimes, and use depredation permits.

Problem with TN is we have a lot of "small" properties. So managing for the landowner must be a nightmare. Just think if your a row crop producer of only a few hundred acres but your surrounded by countless small property owners that manage for whitetails. Your basically fighting a loosing battle (assuming the crop producer hates deer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntforme7909

redblood":3nlpdley said:
owners rights. I live in a dead end road on a big farm in a unit L county where the deer population is as high as anywhere in the state, I would wager. I see 40-60 deer out my window every morn and afternoon. I shot one doe all year, on the last afternoon just for meat. 20 deer in the field with her, not a one ran at the shot. The farmer who farms mine also farms the 1500 acres that surrounds me. I will not let him depredate on my land. I understand you can have too many deer, but I enjoy watching them. I think land owners have to trump

redblood if you ever need anyone to come help with a couple does I have twin 7 year olds that would love to come give a hand to take a couple out..... :D

Bone Collector

Deer Assassin":5fl7o793 said:
cecil30-30":5fl7o793 said:
What about the farmer/landowners who complain about deer bit refuse to let anyone Hunt their place.

most farmers dont want people to hunt their farm

they want people that will kill deer not sit and wait on a big buck

This^^^ and they don't trust anyone they don't know to do it in most cases.

AXL78

Bone Collector":217tinc0 said:
Deer Assassin":217tinc0 said:
cecil30-30":217tinc0 said:
What about the farmer/landowners who complain about deer bit refuse to let anyone Hunt their place.

most farmers dont want people to hunt their farm

they want people that will kill deer not sit and wait on a big buck

This^^^ and they don't trust anyone they don't know to do it in most cases.

That, and people rut up their roads, bring friends, drive over crops, litter, etc.

mathews338

Doskil":1hfcuutj said:
to put up with "high" deer populations so hunters have lots of deer to hunt?
I don't think the population of deer in most areas is enough to really hurt the farmers as bad as people think. some one that puts out a small garden could see a lot of damage but a farmer with 500 plus acres of crops in most areas is not gonna see enough damage to matter much.

WRbowhunter

Well if the land owner lives in Unil L they can kill 3 does a day for 3 solid months. there are a lot of places he can donate the meat. Of they could sell Mini hunts for people to kill the does. I am sure there are people that would pay a nominal sum to kill some does for meat if there were that many deer. But if you don't hunt and don't allow people to hunt then what do you expect. It's part of owning land in this great state.

Doskil

I know in parts of GA, SC, and NC soybean farmers get permits to shoot deer during the summer when the soybeans are growing.

I'd rather see folks use hunters to control deer numbers than permits.

Mike Belt

I've seen ag fields where a farmer didn't run harvesting equipment because there wasn't enough crop left to harvest. If I was that farmer I'd want every deer dead. You can't blame them for that sentiment. And you also have to remember that farmers supply much of the land that hunters utilize during hunting season and that much of the food supplying those deer comes from those crops. They pay the bills. No crops...no land...no hunting. The trick is to balance a farmer's losses and I have no easy answer to that. I've been in the situation where I was denied permission to hunt a property where the farmer complained about too many deer because of the fault of someone who previously had permission but defaced the property. Once that's done it leaves a bad taste in the mouth and the idea of it being repeated outweighs the farmer's losses. There is also a question of liability. Do they have priority over hunting? Maybe.

I don't know if it's possible but it would seem to me that in these instances the farmer would want some kind of assurance that 1) there would be enough deer removed to substantially reduce crop loss and 2)some type of guarantee against damages of the property. Maybe there needs to be regional organizations sponsoring groups of hunters that are seeking hunting areas that can be held accountable for both. There are farmers now that won't allow hunting; free or leased hunting. If they had responsible representatives and were able to make extra money for doing so by leasing they may be willing to change their mind.

AT Hiker

Mike Belt":58uttgo2 said:
I don't know if it's possible but it would seem to me that in these instances the farmer would want some kind of assurance that 1) there would be enough deer removed to substantially reduce crop loss and 2)some type of guarantee against damages of the property. Maybe there needs to be regional organizations sponsoring groups of hunters that are seeking hunting areas that can be held accountable for both. There are farmers now that won't allow hunting; free or leased hunting. If they had responsible representatives and were able to make extra money for doing so by leasing they may be willing to change their mind.

I like!

Maybe a bowhunters organization for urban hunting. Members are insured and have rigorous backgrounds in pertinent safety trainings. Maybe a state biologist comes in and accesses the property and the non profit club comes in after the fact and shoots appropriate deer. X amount of deer go to the hungry, etc.

A any weapon club could also do the same in non urban areas.

AT Hiker

MUP":3ms8afit said:
Doskil":3ms8afit said:
to put up with "high" deer populations so hunters have lots of deer to hunt?

I don't think farmers and landowners should be "forced" to do anything that they do not want to. This sounds like another govt intervention program in the works.

Do you sleep with one eye open?[emoji1]

Doskil

So if hunters complain that they want deer numbers to rebound in an area and farmers do not want to go back to a larger deer herd, presents an interesting dilemma to wildlife managers.