Should farmers and other landowners be forced

rukiddin

I don't see why any one should risk their livelihood for someone else's hobby.

I have several friends that farm in NC. They will shoot deer all summer where it's needed. They don't let just anyone hunt because they have been taken advantage of in he past. Most start doing exactly as the farmer request, then they start horn hunting and not shooting the does. Or they let someone hunt and then that someone brings their buddy, then the buddy brings a buddy and so forth. My farming buddies all deer hunt but they have no use for "deer hunters". They want deer killers.
Y'all gotta realize that this forum represents a small portion of deer hunters. There are a lot of dumb@$$ deer hunters out there that are stupid and disrespectful and give everyone else a bad rap. And I'm not talking about poachers, I'm talking about idiots that are just stupid and don't know how to be respectful or those that get so caught up with shooting a "woods goat", that they neglect courtesy.

MUP

AT Hiker":2ga889gb said:
MUP":2ga889gb said:
Doskil":2ga889gb said:
to put up with "high" deer populations so hunters have lots of deer to hunt?

I don't think farmers and landowners should be "forced" to do anything that they do not want to. This sounds like another govt intervention program in the works.

Do you sleep with one eye open?[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both closed, but I hear very well. :)

Model 1

I'm ready.

I'm right 97 percent of the time, the other 4 percent doesn't matter.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453406004.717239.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453406004.717239.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 353

kentuckylakebuck

Doskil":38zh15l6 said:
So if hunters complain that they want deer numbers to rebound in an area and farmers do not want to go back to a larger deer herd, presents an interesting dilemma to wildlife managers.
Then it becomes a political battle, and the one with the most money wins! some here will swear that I'm not right, but what you and i just described is exactly whats going on in some portions of unit L

Deer Assassin

WRbowhunter":26at875k said:
Well if the land owner lives in Unil L they can kill 3 does a day for 3 solid months. there are a lot of places he can donate the meat. Of they could sell Mini hunts for people to kill the does. I am sure there are people that would pay a nominal sum to kill some does for meat if there were that many deer. But if you don't hunt and don't allow people to hunt then what do you expect. It's part of owning land in this great state.
farmers dont hunt they farm (for the most part)

why kill 3 a day
when they can get a depredation permit shoot hundreds alot of the gut shoot em and let them run off and die

WG3

One of the major problems people don't understand is that the farmers are playing with a very slim margin on there crops. Between the price of seeds, fertilizer, and various pesticides for most crops to grow efficiently on a large scale, just an acre of loss in can equal a major hit. So I can understand why some day not want to deal with deer. I've seen deer put a hurting on clover in a hay field, so they do a lot more damage than some believe. And when in comes down to some ones livelihood, or a persons hobby or entertainment. The livelihood comes first every time in my book.

And till alotnof hunters show some more respect for farmland, the farmers and property owners will not want anyone that they not know hunting on their land. I seen many farms were hunters would leave gates open, cut fences, drive through the middle of fields, and just damage the land. Also many hunters feel that their hunting rights should be above the farmers
On property that has been leased for both to different parties. They don't seem to want to work together, I've had some hunters try to tell me when I could and could not cut a field for hay, and they where getting to hunt for free. I just got one land owner that I rent pasture from to allow me to hunt the property this year, he just had to many bad experiences with idiots.

I am biased for the farmer and I freely admit it, but I do enjoy hunting and I am starting to make the property's I can hunt better for both hunting and agriculture. But for the farmers who row dlcrop and have loss from deer, if they want to get the permits and legally kill the deer, I say do it.

Bone Collector

Cecil30-30 wrote: What about the farmer/landowners who complain about deer bit refuse to let anyone Hunt their place. Most farmers dont want people to hunt their farm.

Deer Assassin":128gl9jv said:
they want people that will kill deer not sit and wait on a big buck
Bone Collector":128gl9jv said:
This^^^ and they don't trust anyone they don't know to do it in most cases.
AXL78":128gl9jv said:
That, and people rut up their roads, bring friends, drive over crops, litter, etc.

Sadly this is still true in some cases. You'd think with the limited availability of land that people would be walking on eggshells. I say that to say this though. I believe in most cases that, that perception is based on past transgressions that farmers are just not willing to forget and forgive. I think if they were to "try it again" they'd find that most hunters mentalities have changed with regards to treating their land with respect, because they now realize what a blessing it is to get permission to hunt.

Roost 1

There is a difference in a farmer and a landowner, the landowner should have the final say so......if the farmer and the landowner are the same, then so be it. Lots of times the landowner rents the row crop rights to the farmer and the hunting rights to some hunters and then the farmer, or his designee, goes in during the summer and shoots deer. This is not fair the to the leasor in my opinion.

Roost 1

WG3":196ednif said:
One of the major problems people don't understand is that the farmers are playing with a very slim margin on there crops. Between the price of seeds, fertilizer, and various pesticides for most crops to grow efficiently on a large scale, just an acre of loss in can equal a major hit. So I can understand why some day not want to deal with deer. I've seen deer put a hurting on clover in a hay field, so they do a lot more damage than some believe. And when in comes down to some ones livelihood, or a persons hobby or entertainment. The livelihood comes first every time in my book.

And till alotnof hunters show some more respect for farmland, the farmers and property owners will not want anyone that they not know hunting on their land. I seen many farms were hunters would leave gates open, cut fences, drive through the middle of fields, and just damage the land. Also many hunters feel that their hunting rights should be above the farmers
On property that has been leased for both to different parties. They don't seem to want to work together, I've had some hunters try to tell me when I could and could not cut a field for hay, and they where getting to hunt for free. I just got one land owner that I rent pasture from to allow me to hunt the property this year, he just had to many bad experiences with idiots.

I am biased for the farmer and I freely admit it, but I do enjoy hunting and I am starting to make the property's I can hunt better for both hunting and agriculture. But for the farmers who row dlcrop and have loss from deer, if they want to get the permits and legally kill the deer, I say do it.

Im not buying into all this about the poor farmer, I see too many new $100,000 tractors and new $70,000 Duramaxs in the fields for them to be operating on slim profits...I know all farmers are not equal but it seems they get subsidized pretty good in my area when the yields are not great.

Not trying to be argumentative, just calling it like I see it.

AXL78

Believe it or not Poser, a lot of that stuff happens. I am not a farmer, but have a lot of friends who are. You would be surprised. I am from a large agricultural area though, and there can be very long walks across fields to get to where you are going. Walking sometimes isn't an option. Sometimes it just boils down to ungratefulness, or not appreciating what the guy has done for you. A lot of the guys don't need the money either, they're doing you a favor even if you are paying. I'm with Roost1 on the duramax's.lol

AXL78

Some other weird situations that do and will occur are guys that try to outdo others. They kiss the farmer/landowners a$$ so hard it puts everybody in weird situations at times, including the landowners. They want more power, control, and favors than the next guy, and feel they should get it whether what they do is necessary or excessive. This creates controversy that can be weird for the landowner to deal with and they just get tired of being put in those situations and it becomes invite only.

Mike Belt

When given a reason I can't hunt a property more often than not it's because of livestock. The owner has either had some shot in the past or fears it will happen. I have yet to be able to sufficiently explain that I know the difference between them and a deer, especially with bow shots inside of 30 yards. I'm beginning to think it's their standard excuse when they can't come up with any other reason.

AXL78

I believe it can be Mike, as I wouldn't buy that very easily either. Just easier for them to tell you that, and they can say the last person assured me the same.

AT Hiker

North American Model of Wildlife Conservation:
"In the Public Trust – Wildlife belongs to the people and managed in trust for the people by government agencies. "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jejeffrries71

Forced? Where does this come from? Forced? You are free to buy as much land as you want and manage it how you want. My late husband & I worked many years of 60 hour weeks to get what we have, including a couple of hundred acres of land. Should you be forced to let me in your home to watch your TV? Let me borrow your truck?

My farm is my home, my sanctuary. I would like to think I am on it alone when I am walking or hunting on it. While I would never give anyone carte blanche permission to use it whenever or however they please, I am honored to share it.

Latest posts