Shotgun/slug gun scopes

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Thinking about buying a slug gun. My question is do they make scopes designed just for slug guns? Will most scopes designed for high powered rifles work on slug guns?

DaveB

I am using a pretty old Bushnell 3x9 on my 11-87 but I don't shoot slugs. It holds zero with no problem on 3" magnum steel and max load 4's.

Bone Collector

I think i have a cheap Bushnell on mine. It is good to go.

I would assume any scope that is designed for an rifle would work. In my opinion there is not a huge difference in recoil with 3" shells. the only thing is I would not get a scope that is too long.

Mr.Bro

Yes some manufacturers make slug gun specific scopes.

Most good quality rifle scopes will work.

Take this from someone who has been there.Buy a scope with plenty of eye relief.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Mr.Bro said:
Yes some manufacturers make slug gun specific scopes.

Most good quality rifle scopes will work.

Take this from someone who has been there.Buy a scope with plenty of eye relief.

Sounds like the answer. Thanks to all for info.

woodswise

Shotguns with slugs have a great deal of recoil and a cheap scope will not hold up. The scope mounts are also very important I have seen multiple shotguns fired with slugs and it sheared the bases off at the screws! Watch out for the red badge of recoil between the eyes with a short eye relief as well.

lightfoot

2-Step Enabled
I use a Mossberg 835 with cantilever barrel with a Nikon slughunter scope, has plenty of eye relief. The new 835s have adjustable triggers.

JRE

I've heard that using the proper torque on the base screws is important. Supposedly if the screws are gorilla tight it can cause them to sheer off under heavy recoil. Never seen it happen before, but I use a torque wrench on my guns when installing the bases. I also use a Zeiss Conquest with 4 inches of eye relief on my slug and so far its held up well.

Winchester

They do make specialty scopes for slug guns that can take the massive recoil of a slug gun. I would recommend buying good glass as you wont regret it!

Latest posts