Shooting houses and projects

FTG-05

At one time, I had a funnel inside with surgical tubing connected to it, run through a hole in floor, attached to one of the legs and buried in the ground.
"Redneck septic system " so to speak. 😂
But now, just open the door and step out for a stretch-pee. They say the scent molecules in urine break down in 8-10 minutes.
I reguarley pee around all my shooting houses. The theory is that if they smell it all the time, then it's just ignored. At least that's what my BIL told me.

jemo4570

At one time, I had a funnel inside with surgical tubing connected to it, run through a hole in floor, attached to one of the legs and buried in the ground.
"Redneck septic system " so to speak. 😂
But now, just open the door and step out for a stretch-pee. They say the scent molecules in urine break down in 8-10 minutes.
I am 62 and hunt out of a Summit climber. As I have gotten older and not as "in control" as I used to be, sometimes I don't have time to get everything hung or stashed away and then get my bottle out (most of the time), so I just let it go off the stand. Last mature buck I took was 8 steps from my tree with 3 does standing under me. I just had enough time to zip up when I spotted the does coming my way They didn't pay any attention to it.

JCDEERMAN

How many have you built so far, JC?
We've built 2 and have them over freshly made food plots that were hardwoods about 6 months ago (one is 2 acres and one is 3.5 acres). We have the wood and bed liners to build one more. Ours have weather stripping around the windows and plexiglass on hinges. Each have a door on hinges with a lock. Great stuff foam so they are air tight. I'm sure the wasps will find a way in. I showed my 4yo daughter them the other day and we sat in there as I explained looking for deer and turkeys. She's the reason they were built in the first place.

BSK

We haven't built any porches, but our new SC-2 Sportsman's Condos are ready to go. Floors in, carpet in, handles on, swivel chairs in.

Attachments

• plots20.jpg
    plots20.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 110

Knothead

We've built 2 and have them over freshly made food plots that were hardwoods about 6 months ago (one is 2 acres and one is 3.5 acres). We have the wood and bed liners to build one more. Ours have weather stripping around the windows and plexiglass on hinges. Each have a door on hinges with a lock. Great stuff foam so they are air tight. I'm sure the wasps will find a way in. I showed my 4yo daughter them the other day and we sat in there as I explained looking for deer and turkeys. She's the reason they were built in the first place.
Nice!! That's exactly why I built the one in the pic —-the pic that has the metal stairs and the propane tank in camo wrap. We name all our stands on the lease. My 3 yr old grandson calls me Pop. This house is thus called "PopBox". Just anxiously awaiting the day when he and I can sit there and enjoy some time together in the woods—and perhaps even harvest his first deer from this one. Like yours, it's sealed with spray foam, it's insulated, has plexiglass windows on hinges, and has a heater. Good luck this season!

JCDEERMAN

Nice!! That's exactly why I built the one in the pic —-the pic that has the metal stairs and the propane tank in camo wrap. We name all our stands on the lease. My 3 yr old grandson calls me Pop. This house is thus called "PopBox". Just anxiously awaiting the day when he and I can sit there and enjoy some time together in the woods—and perhaps even harvest his first deer from this one. Like yours, it's sealed with spray foam, it's insulated, has plexiglass windows on hinges, and has a heater. Good luck this season!
Awesome - you too, Knothead! That was a great recommendation on the bed liners. We built the first one and used it as a prototype for the second one. That's probably it until after the season. Hoping to build two more.

megalomaniac

Well, I pulled the trigger today. Bought the lumber and hardware, got it all cut out and framed.

I will caulk the windows, install windows, camo pattern some on the outside, then break it back down into panels to make it easier to haul to TN (I had a pre-assembled one several years ago I drove up and it almost lifted out of the bed of the truck going down the interstate! No more of that for me!

$250 for the lumber and hardware. I've got scrap tin to go over the OSB roof and free plexiglass windows.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210919-164802_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210919-164802_Gallery.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20210919-164805_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210919-164805_Gallery.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 84

Willysman

Super nice blind. Now all you need is a little bed for midday naps. I believe I would just spend the night and not have to go in before daylight.

SALTMAN

I can't tell for sure from the pic , but if it's not anchored you need to do it . We had an expensive one blow over and it was in the edge of the woods like yours . It didn't destroy it totally but it did need some repair .

BSK

I can't tell for sure from the pic , but if it's not anchored you need to do it . We had an expensive one blow over and it was in the edge of the woods like yours . It didn't destroy it totally but it did need some repair .
I don't know if you meant mine or Knothead's, but after talking to a bunch of people, I was told the center screw anchor is not as important as anchoring the legs, so each of the four 4x4 legs has a t-post driven deep into the ground and then attached to the 4x4 with big u-bolts.

Knothead

I don't know if you meant mine or Knothead's, but after talking to a bunch of people, I was told the center screw anchor is not as important as anchoring the legs, so each of the four 4x4 legs has a t-post driven deep into the ground and then attached to the 4x4 with big u-bolts.

As do mine. If we have winds strong enough to pull up T-posts, then I think I would have greater concerns and more to take care of than a shooting house.