Scouting public land-Need Advice

utvol5

If you were traveling over 5 hours to scout public land for a hunt in late October and felt comfortable putting out a camera....what would you put out as an attractant to get pictures of mature bucks in the area?

The camera would be there for about 2 months so it would need to be something that would last a while.

I understand the risk of getting the camera stolen, but I'm willing to take that chance.

Thoughts???

Food Plot 101

Maybe some sweet smelling fruity something? Bought some land several years ago, that had a trailer for storage. While cleaning it out I found some liquid Apple mineral stuff so I poured it out on a stump. Got lots of pics from it.

catman529

trophy rock, can't put food/feed out on public land. At least on a WMA you can't. They do love trophy rocks though, or pretty much any salt. Maybe get the loose kind that soaks into the ground, they seem to love to eat it out of the dirt.

Shed Hunter

Make sure it is okay to run a camera or put out an attractant on the land you are looking into.

You also don't need an attractant to get buck pictures. Set the camera on a travel route or natural food source.

Poleaxe

Take you a ladder in with u when u put up your camera. That away u can put it high enough nobody could see or steal it. We'll lat least it would cut your chances down.