Scent Killers and Ozone!!

kaizen leader

I mentioned it earlier but I'll do it again. Take a picture of your hunting clothes and gear. Edit the picture to black and white. Then look at it to see if there is anything that draws your attention. My brother thought his old orange hunting coat was better than mine. Mine was bright orange and his was washed out. In black and white his showed up almost bright white and mine blended in grays. You might be surprised at what you see. Remember deer only see black and white.

BSK

I mentioned it earlier but I'll do it again. Take a picture of your hunting clothes and gear. Edit the picture to black and white. Then look at it to see if there is anything that draws your attention. My brother thought his old orange hunting coat was better than mine. Mine was bright orange and his was washed out. In black and white his showed up almost bright white and mine blended in grays. You might be surprised at what you see. Remember deer only see black and white.
Deer are not colorblind. These see colors just fine, although not the way we do. The have no color receptors in their eyes sensitive to red light. However, their sensitivity to blue and yellow light is just as good as ours. Instead of editing a picture to black and white, take out all red. That is the way deer see color.

kaizen leader

Deer are not colorblind. These see colors just fine, although not the way we do. The have no color receptors in their eyes sensitive to red light. However, their sensitivity to blue and yellow light is just as good as ours. Instead of editing a picture to black and white, take out all red. That is the way deer see color.
Thanks.

double browtine

I shower with scent free soap and wash my clothes in scent free detergent. Mainly I play the wind! That nosy doe is gonna bust you out no matter what you do. Those are the does I like to shoot. A blowing doe is my favorite deer to shoot. They mess up many hunts for all hunters no matter how scent free you are.

And I agree with many of you on the evercalm. That works great on your boots for the walk in. I have also stepped on a pile of deer poo and got it all over the bottom of my boots. Mashing persimmons on your boot soles in the early season works well also.

C1295

I shower with scent free soap and wash my clothes in scent free detergent. Mainly I play the wind! That nosy doe is gonna bust you out no matter what you do. Those are the does I like to shoot. A blowing doe is my favorite deer to shoot. They mess up many hunts for all hunters no matter how scent free you are.

And I agree with many of you on the evercalm. That works great on your boots for the walk in. I have also stepped on a pile of deer poo and got it all over the bottom of my boots. Mashing persimmons on your boot soles in the early season works well also
IF SHE BLOWS SHE GOES!

Kelljp

Going throw y'all a curve which I doubt will get much traction.
Only time clothing scents are important is if your hunting back woods, where humans rarely are. If you avoid saturating you clothes with smoke, food and chemicals ( such as fuel) scents. Farm deer aren't as spooky. The 40+ years of chasing East TN deer did teach me that elevation is your friend, one of of my mentors taught me 30 feet seems to be the magic spot to avoid thermals. Not saying my kill ratio improved but the shots presented certainly did. Another mentor that helped me hone my deer hunting skills taught me that predators eyes are up front and their diet mainly consist of meat. When I use to dedicate 3 weeks bow hunting every fall I incorporated using a full face mask and quit eating any meat the month prior and during bow season. Believe it or not my encounters with deer got alot closer when slowly traveling to and from my stand.The slow travel actually accounted for about 30 % of my kills.

C1295

Only time clothing scents are important is if your hunting back woods, where humans rarely are. If you avoid saturating you clothes with smoke, food and chemicals ( such as fuel) scents. Farm deer aren't as spooky. The 40+ years of chasing East TN deer did teach me that elevation is your friend, one of of my mentors taught me 30 feet seems to be the magic spot to avoid thermals. Not saying my kill ratio improved but the shots presented certainly did. Another mentor that helped me hone my deer hunting skills taught me that predators eyes are up front and their diet mainly consist of meat. When I use to dedicate 3 weeks bow hunting every fall I incorporated using a full face mask and quit eating any meat the month prior and during bow season. Believe it or not my encounters with deer got alot closer when slowly traveling to and from my stand.The slow travel actually accounted for about 30 % of my kills.
this makes a lot of since... And is kind of a smack in the face... Like duhhh!

Ski

IF SHE BLOWS SHE GOES!

Eh, sit back and let her blow. She's annoying to you but she's a critical member of the local herd because she alerts at every sense of danger. The old buck inside the cover is paying close attention. He won't come out until she calms down, which means the danger has passed. If you shoot her then you spook every deer in the area and reinforce to them that the danger was real. But if you let her clam down or leave, which might take awhile, then all other deer will also relax. Those loudmouth does snort & stomp and head bob at everything from raccoons to bobcats, coyotes, foxes, other deer, etc. Just because she blows doesn't mean every other deer immediately associates the sound with human danger. So let her blow. The other deer are used to it. When she leaves or calms down the big guy will feel ok to come out of the cover. I've seen it play out a hundred times just like that.

beefydeer

I know lots of people that kill good deer and alot of deer while a lit cigarette is hanging out of their mouth. I used to hunt a lease with a guy and the farm was right out his back door. Lots of times he would walk out his house in his regular clothes he wore all day and hunt til dark and he would kill the biggest deer on the farm. I feel like we as hunters, overthink alot of stuff.

Ski

I know lots of people that kill good deer and alot of deer while a lit cigarette is hanging out of their mouth. I used to hunt a lease with a guy and the farm was right out his back door. Lots of times he would walk out his house in his regular clothes he wore all day and hunt til dark and he would kill the biggest deer on the farm. I feel like we as hunters, overthink alot of stuff.

I know a guy who swears the deer come in to the cigarette smoke. Under his stand is a pile of butts and he kills giants seems every year.

Last edited:

bowhunterfanatic

Eh, sit back and let her blow. She's annoying to you but she's a critical member of the local herd because she alerts at every sense of danger. The old buck inside the cover is paying close attention. He won't come out until she calms down, which means the danger has passed. If you shoot her then you spook every deer in the area and reinforce to them that the danger was real. But if you let her clam down or leave, which might take awhile, then all other deer will also relax. Those loudmouth does snort & stomp and head bob at everything from raccoons to bobcats, coyotes, foxes, other deer, etc. Just because she blows doesn't mean every other deer immediately associates the sound with human danger. So let her blow. The other deer are used to it. When she leaves or calms down the big guy will feel ok to come out of the cover. I've seen it play out a hundred times just like that.
Wise words here. I've got a buddy that thinks he might as well get down and go home if one single deer blows at him. I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting on a field edge and had a deer blow at me or something else close by and watched other deer in the field never even pick their heads up and look that direction. I used to think it put every deer within ear shot on high alert but I've come to realize that really isn't the case.

BSK

Only time clothing scents are important is if your hunting back woods, where humans rarely are. If you avoid saturating you clothes with smoke, food and chemicals ( such as fuel) scents. Farm deer aren't as spooky. The 40+ years of chasing East TN deer did teach me that elevation is your friend, one of of my mentors taught me 30 feet seems to be the magic spot to avoid thermals. Not saying my kill ratio improved but the shots presented certainly did.
Agree completely. Plus, many times shooting distances are much further in farm country (MZ and gun seasons). Who cares about scent if you're going to be shooting at 200 yards.

Another mentor that helped me hone my deer hunting skills taught me that predators eyes are up front and their diet mainly consist of meat. When I use to dedicate 3 weeks bow hunting every fall I incorporated using a full face mask and quit eating any meat the month prior and during bow season. Believe it or not my encounters with deer got alot closer when slowly traveling to and from my stand.The slow travel actually accounted for about 30 % of my kills.
I have heard this about not eating meat. Never tried it, but it makes sense. I used to always wear a full facemask, even if it wasn't cold. However, now needing to wear glasses even when I hunt, the facemask fogs up the lenses. So I've gone to partial facemask - covers the sides of my face, and chin down. I don't seem to spook more deer by the partial facemask versus full.

crawford3546

Just walk in front of a game cam at night and the picture will show you. I went three years without a kill on deer and turkey and figured it was just bad luck. One night I had to fill my feeder later than normal and the cam showed that my fancy hunting shirt was made out of material that glowed like a neon sign. Got rid of the shirt and went right back to getting my meat.

Kelljp

I know a guy who swears the deer come in to the cigarette smoke. Under his stand is a pile of butter and he kills giants seems every year.
I took a gentleman bowhunting for the first time back 15 years ago, he radio me he needed help finding a buck he'd shot. When I got there I looked under his stand and to my surprise was a week's worth of butts from Winston cigarettes he'd smoked. We found his first buck 20 minutes later and he killed another one the next day. Go figure ! I had to wait several days before getting a shot doing everything I thought was right 😊

EJ1

A couple spots I hunt has a walnut tree right by where I park. Once I get my boots out of the tote and get them on I like to stomp and roll my boots on the walnuts on the ground. IMO it really does a great job of covering any scent and I like the smell.

Kmushrooman

Wise words here. I've got a buddy that thinks he might as well get down and go home if one single deer blows at him. I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting on a field edge and had a deer blow at me or something else close by and watched other deer in the field never even pick their heads up and look that direction. I used to think it put every deer within ear shot on high alert but I've come to realize that really isn't the case.
I don't get worried about dogs or other hunters or coyotes. Deer will backdoor them. The woods calm down and deer will come around pretty soon. Deer blowing, happens and yeah it is not the end of the world.

Latest posts