Scent Killers and Ozone!!

Wrangler95

I always use scent killers on me when I get out of my truck,also use my ozone tote.How do you go about making your scent level as low as possible?I know your never gonna be scent free but try to lower it as much as possible.I also use my Onx app for the right wind direction for which stand I will hunt!What do you like to do?

BSK

I used to be obsessed with scent reduction. However, as I've aged and gotten lazier, not so much. And my success has not declined. However, there are still a few practices I still follow. All hunting clothes are washed in scent-reducing soaps, air dried, and then stored in air-tight containers. Inner layers are washed again after every use. Mid-layers, maybe once every three or four uses. Outer layers are just sprayed down with scent-reducers after each hunt, but not rewashed. And when it comes to hunting, every stand on my property is in a spreadsheet listing the best wind directions to hunt that stand. I live by that. Now some stands, where deer could come from anywhere, can be hunted under any wind, as deer are just as likely to be downwind as upwind. But some stands are watching a particular feature, and I don't hunt them when my scent would be blowing towards that feature, only away from it.

Ski

IME, not saturating the area with your stink is more important than not stinking. We can't change the fact that we smell like predators that scare the hell out of deer. What we can do is avoid brushing against every twig and branch along our way, walking on their trails, walking through the area we expect to see deer come from, etc. Stand placement, access, and careful approach are 100x more critical than scent control. However, don't have your boots sitting inside next to the back door while momma's frying up catfish 8ft away in the kitchen. Keep your body clean, clothes clean, and boots clean. As long as you don't have an obnoxious odor you should be fine. Common sense stuff. No need to get carried away with scent control.

C1295

I keep my cloths in totes then right before season wash them in all clean and clear. Then I spray them down with scent spray and leave them hanging outside for about a week. Also I keep some pine needles leaves and bark in the tote with them. don't know if it does anything or not. Also wash in non scented dial soap and ups non scented deodorant. AND Use powder in my boots and Leave them outside and keep them clean as possible.

BSK

Also I keep some pine needles leaves and bark in the tote with them. don't know if it does anything or not.
Each year I fill the bottom of clothes container with dead leaves. I don't think it does a thing to hide my scent, but I absolutely LOVE the pungent smell of rotting leaves on my clothes while I'm on stand! Smells like fall. Smells like hunting season!

Also wash in non scented dial soap and ups non scented deodorant. AND Use powder in my boots and Leave them outside and keep them clean as possible.
I forgot to add I'm still a fanatic about my hunting boots. They are regularly soaked in scent-reducing soaps, and they touch nothing but the forest floor. I do not wear them in my truck (where the rubber mats are covered with oil and grease from gas stations) and I do not wear them indoors.

C1295

Each year I fill the bottom of clothes container with dead leaves. I don't think it does a thing to hide my scent, but I absolutely LOVE the pungent smell of rotting leaves on my clothes while I'm on stand! Smells like fall. Smells like hunting season!

I forgot to add I'm still a fanatic about my hunting boots. They are regularly soaked in scent-reducing soaps, and they touch nothing but the forest floor. I do not wear them in my truck (where the rubber mats are covered with oil and grease from gas stations) and I do not wear them indoors.
I agree 100% with the dead leave smell 🤣

Wrangler95

Another thing I do is use the stick of Evercalm on my boots!!I walk to my stands usually on old logging trails and Ive had quite alot of deer come right down the logging trail Ive just walked and wasnt spooked at all,so I sure believe in the Evercalm.Im not into most things on the market but I sure believe in the Evercalm ,although its pricey!

C1295

Another thing I do is use the stick of Evercalm on my boots!!I walk to my stands usually on old logging trails and Ive had quite alot of deer come right down the logging trail Ive just walked and wasnt spooked at all,so I sure believe in the Evercalm.Im not into most things on the market but I sure believe in the Evercalm ,although its pricey!
I use to put Doe Estrus all over the bottom of my boots and let them sit not sure it did anything though. I quit doing it though a few years back.

Ski

I don't often spray my boots but I do keep them outside. They ride in the bed of my truck and are put on when I arrive, taken off when I leave. Unless you're wading through CRP there's nothing that will leave a scent trail like your boots. Whenever at all possible I like to walk inside creeks & drainages One spot I've got I actually wear chest waders for a 1/4mi walk inside a creek to my stand that's in a tree almost on the creek bank.

C1295

I don't often spray my boots but I do keep them outside. They ride in the bed of my truck and are put on when I arrive, taken off when I leave. Unless you're wading through CRP there's nothing that will leave a scent trail like your boots. Whenever at all possible I like to walk inside creeks & drainages One spot I've got I actually wear chest waders for a 1/4mi walk inside a creek to my stand that's in a tree almost on the creek bank.
ohhh that's a good idea right there.

Wrangler95

IME, not saturating the area with your stink is more important than not stinking. We can't change the fact that we smell like predators that scare the hell out of deer. What we can do is avoid brushing against every twig and branch along our way, walking on their trails, walking through the area we expect to see deer come from, etc. Stand placement, access, and careful approach are 100x more critical than scent control. However, don't have your boots sitting inside next to the back door while momma's frying up catfish 8ft away in the kitchen. Keep your body clean, clothes clean, and boots clean. As long as you don't have an obnoxious odor you should be fine. Common sense stuff. No need to get carried away with scent controI
IME, not saturating the area with your stink is more important than not stinking. We can't change the fact that we smell like predators that scare the hell out of deer. What we can do is avoid brushing against every twig and branch along our way, walking on their trails, walking through the area we expect to see deer come from, etc. Stand placement, access, and careful approach are 100x more critical than scent control. However, don't have your boots sitting inside next to the back door while momma's frying up catfish 8ft away in the kitchen. Keep your body clean, clothes clean, and boots clean. As long as you don't have an obnoxious odor you should be fine. Common sense stuff. No need to get carried away with scent control.
Im like you,I try my best to not brush against any bush or limb to leave my scent on!

BSK

During testing a Rutgers University Secnt Killer was applied directly to the order producing agent. Therefore, it may work on deoderizing your clothing but unless you spray it on your skin it is not doing anything that it does not come in contact with. Just my $0.02.
And the reason I shower and lather every part of my body (especially hair, face and hands) with scent-reducing soaps (the green soft-soap) before every hunt.

Ski

During testing a Rutgers University Secnt Killer was applied directly to the order producing agent. Therefore, it may work on deoderizing your clothing but unless you spray it on your skin it is not doing anything that it does not come in contact with. Just my $0.02.

Unless you never shower, nothing about your skin or clothing smells worse than your breath. And your skin & clothing aren't blowing their stink out into the breeze the way your breath does. IMO while scent control is not complete nonsense, it's nowhere near as critical as a lot of hunters have made it out to be.