SC passes new turkey regs to bolster declining population

Atchman2

Re: SC passes new turkey regs to bolster declining populatio

That is pretty cool. I personally have no issues with those regulations.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PalsPal

The later start date still matches our current start date, and didn't go as far as they requested, but I like the only 1 bird in first 10 days and having a lower limit for nonresidents.

TheLBLman

PalsPal":1ojzr4ej said:
The later start date still matches our current start date . . . . . .
Due to their being farther South, their new start date kinda equates to a TN opening date around April 5th?

Personally, I don't like the idea of the two zones.
But, the northern part of SC will now open on April 1st.

This year, TN opened on March 30th (the Saturday nearest the 1st of April).
Farther north in KY, their season typically opens 2 weeks later,
which, adjusted for latitude, may equate to more like a week later than TN's.

More interestingly, SC has a 3-bird limit for residents, and a 2-bird limit for non-residents.

Bone Collector

TheLBLman":2c5w79x4 said:
More interestingly, SC has a 3-bird limit for residents, and a 2-bird limit for non-residents.

This is what stood out to me. I like that idea, I thought TWRA should have dropped it to 3 3-4 years ago, but they have not done so yet, and apparently won't until the "study" is done.

I actually had a decent season, saw some birds and my last hunt of the year ended with 2 jakes in front of me at 20 yds. Both lived, and as long as they survived that afternoon and Mother's day, should be ok as far as hunting goes.

I would not be mad if the TWRA lowered it to 3 birds on bit. I would be even less mad if they lowered the non-resident bag limit to 2.

catman529

I like those rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled

TheLBLman":11dm7cf6 said:
Andy S.":11dm7cf6 said:
. . . . . . good move on their part being proactive.
Agree.
Just don't like so many moving parts.

Actually I'm not sure they are being proactive as it seems. I can remember 20+ years ago SC was considered a hot spot to turkey hunt. I had buddies that would go down for a week and kill their limits. 10 years ago I started reading post about numbers going down. Said since timber companies had stopped logging and sold off a lot of the land the habitat had become dead in most of the state. Some guys talked about properties with 20-25 gobblers on it and now lucky to have one or 2. I do applaud the state for doing something. Better than waiting on a 5 year study in a few counties to effect the entire state.

Roost 1

Sounds to me like the NWTF is the one being pro-active in SC. Now that they have figured out the avenues to take we will be seeing changes in other states as well. Political as always.....

Andy S.

South Carolina DNR had a hand in it too. Up until 2015, they had a very liberal 5 bird limit in the face of 15 straight years of declining harvests and poult recruitment. If SC DNR would have gotten their way (more restrictive), the season would open 10 days later than the new dates, so April 10 instead of the new opener of April 1, and the season would only be 36 days long instead of the 40 day season. As mega has eluded to several times, an increasing number of SC hens are being observed with no poults come late summer, which is detrimental to the turkey population over time.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/turkey/p ... sembly.pdf

Stlbaseball1

If nothing else changed in TN, I would love to see a 2 bird limit for Non-Residents. I would like it even more if the Resident limit was reduced to 3 and the Non-Resident limit was 1.
I am not naïve enough to think this would ever happen as Non-Resident license sales would plummet, and we all know it's all about the money, money, money.

Southern Sportsman

Roost 1":gxqqr7i9 said:
Sounds to me like the NWTF is the one being pro-active in SC. Now that they have figured out the avenues to take we will be seeing changes in other states as well. Political as always.....

The NWTF pushed hard for similar changes in TN last year, but the commission was too hung up on the study to listen. Now that other states are starting to make changes and with people still complaining about lower bird numbers, I do think TN will do something soon.

TheLBLman

Southern Sportsman":13ns68j0 said:
The NWTF pushed hard for similar changes in TN last year, but the commission was too hung up on the study to listen.

Now that other states are starting to make changes and with people still complaining about lower bird numbers, I do think TN will do something soon.
Unfortunately, Jack Murray has left the building.
Wild turkey may go on the Endangered Species list before TWRA prioritizes turkey management over non-resident license sales.

megalomaniac

The number of toms removed is irrelevant when compared to the timing of when those males are removed (assuming jakes are protected). For example, all those that believe hens have all been bred back in March before season opened should be seeing poults everywhere right now. Reducing the limit just allows the kill to spread out amongst more people (those that only get to kill 1 bird will have a better chance at killing 2). But limiting the early season harvest, or even better, pushing season dates back a couple weeks will make a much larger impact than simply reducing the limit.

AT Hiker

We need mega on the commission. You can use my address to establish residence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodsman04

megalomaniac":mwo116ky said:
The number of toms removed is irrelevant when compared to the timing of when those males are removed (assuming jakes are protected). For example, all those that believe hens have all been bred back in March before season opened should be seeing poults everywhere right now. Reducing the limit just allows the kill to spread out amongst more people (those that only get to kill 1 bird will have a better chance at killing 2). But limiting the early season harvest, or even better, pushing season dates back a couple weeks will make a much larger impact than simply reducing the limit.

I don't know how many times I have said this on here, I just get tired of it.

He's right. I think South Carolina is on the right track.

I wish Alabama and Tennessee would do the same. Not lower limit, but delay the season and maybe even shorten it 7-10 days.

And zones is the only way to do it. Have different zones after different summer/fall brood surveys are done, and adjust it accordingly. Also agree with one bird the first ten days of the season, and after that have at it.
To keep people from zones with low numbers from camping out in high density zones, just say 4 bird overall statewide limit all zones combined.
Example, can kill 4 birds in unit A, and only one in unit B. But you cannot kill four in A and one in B, only three in A and one in B.

Boll Weevil

Regarding zones, would it make sense to go all the way to a county level? Looking at the harvest map with the dark/medium/light blues and there's just so much variability within the existing units. Maybe consider birds killed per square mile or something as a basis?

I know some have cited counties like Giles that have very few birds in the southern half so there may be some exception but why not Start managing in a more localized fashion.

woodsman04

Boll Weevil":37fgys57 said:
Regarding zones, would it make sense to go all the way to a county level? Looking at the harvest map with the dark/medium/light blues and there's just so much variability within the existing units. Maybe consider birds killed per square mile or something as a basis?

I know some have cited counties like Giles that have very few birds in the southern half so there may be some exception but why not Start managing in a more localized fashion.

It's a good start. Still overall state four bird limit, but you may only kill one bird in a county like Lawrence, but then shoot three more in Maury.

Latest posts