sausage & cream cheese on jalapeños

Crosshairy

I think about 30 people ate these things with me last night at work...

Cut roughly 15 large jalape�os in half length-wise, taking care to cut it so that the halves will lay flat. Leave the stem attached, because the end piece keeps the filling from running out.

Cut out the inside of the pepper (leave a few seeds for extra heat if you want).

Mix 1 lb of venison breakfast sausage (cooked and crumbled), 1 package of cream cheese, and and about 8 oz of shredded cheddar in a bowl. You might try using a stand mixer - that part will nearly give you carpal tunnel.

Fill the pepper halves with the mixture, leaving slightly mounded humps on top (it doesn't get very runny).

Bake in the oven on a cookie sheet (elevated rack works a bit better) at 350 F for 22-30 minutes, depending on how browned you want your cheese and how done you like your peppers.

I tried using some of the lower-calorie Greek yogurt-based cream cheese, and it was just as good. I doubled the recipe with a 2-lb tube of sausage, and I've made a TON of these things. Folks love them, and they aren't that hot if you don't want them to be.

John3

Those are my favorites but we also fill them with other stuff. Pimento cheese with bacon is another really good one, ground beef and shredded cheese with mustard and top with a pickle. We call those burger bites, lots of different ones to experiment with.