Sandhill crane draw results are in

TAFKAP

Huh. They must break down in the slow cooker. They were a pain to cut up raw.

You bet they would be. The tendons remain, but the meat slides off and leaves the needle-like tendons intact. It takes some work, but it's like a wild turkey leg.

Either way, very well worth the effort.

Pioneer1789

You bet they would be. The tendons remain, but the meat slides off and leaves the needle-like tendons intact. It takes some work, but it's like a wild turkey leg.

Either way, very well worth the effort.
If I'm ever fortunate enough to get drawn again, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Crosshairy

I used the legs off of one bird in a shoot-from-the-hip recipe last night.

Seared both sides of the legs, and seared 2 chopped onions seasoned with garlic salt and black pepper.

De-glazed the bottom of the pot with some red wine vinegar, threw in a dash of Worcestershire sauce, cubed potatoes, carrots, and some cubed butternut squash. Then threw in a few cups of water, a couple splashes of duck fat, extra garlic salt, and a little bit of cayenne pepper. Cooked it maybe 4 hours (could have gone another hour).

The end result was very sweet & savory - the sweetness coming from the butternut squash and carrots. The downside of the drumsticks is that you have to pick the meat off of the "spindle" tendons (similar to a turkey leg, in a way), which takes a bit of time. Still, the flavor was very good. The butternut squash gets mushy quicker than the other contents, but it tastes great. If you want it to retain some consistency, you might consider letting the meat cook longer and adding the squash a bit later.

Semi-related, but if you want to do something really weird and tasty, take leftover crock pot meals, drain the liquid, and put it into quesadillas as filling. I've done this twice now, and it's probably sort of like an empanada to those with more Latin food experience. We have a quesadilla maker that we use quite a lot, and it's pretty darn convenient to recycle leftovers with. I've been experimenting with weird stuff this year - there will be a crane leg quesadilla at some point this weekend...lol

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Southern Knights' Retrievers recommends as close to Christmas/New Years as possible. In my previous 3 years experience, the birds start to arrive early December, with the biggest accumulation at the beginning of the year. They tend to stay around through January, but the closer you get to February, the more you risk them moving on. The 3 times I've gone, I was there a day or two surrounding 1/20, and it was suggested I not be as late going forward.
Booked my hunt with him yesterday.
He has gone up. Guess he figured out he is the only game in town.
Can't blame him though. He does all the work and has a bunch of money invested in decoys.

$250 this year.
My buddy paid $160 last year.

TAFKAP

You're right. I was surprised at his price increase. But I guess that's how it goes when you're the only one with hunting permission. And I expect he's got to pay some lease $$ as well. They talked last year about how one of the farmers wasn't ceding any permission

TAFKAP

And considering the number of people drawn vs. the historical harvest data (and bird population numbers), it would be nice if TWRA would consider additional permits/increased limits. $250 is a lot of money when your hunt can be over by 9:00 and a 2-bird limit.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
And considering the number of people drawn vs. the historical harvest data (and bird population numbers), it would be nice if TWRA would consider additional permits/increased limits. $250 is a lot of money when your hunt can be over by 9:00 and a 2-bird limit.
My buddy that went with him last year hunted exactly 32 minutes after legal shooting time started.
They had an 8 man limit when they quit. LOL
Like they say on TV, they were on the X :D

I'm still looking forward to it though.

Oh and I think the decoys he uses are like $450 a dozen :eek:

TAFKAP

My buddy that went with him last year hunted exactly 32 minutes after legal shooting time started.
They had an 8 man limit when they quit. LOL
Like they say on TV, they were on the X :D

I'm still looking forward to it though.

Oh and I think the decoys he uses are like $450 a dozen :eek:

I was shopping them out a couple years ago and couldn't believe how high they were. And these guys put out a good number of nice, 3D decoys and silhouettes. I just want a 3-bird limit

Latest posts