Sandhill crane draw results are in

TAFKAP

That's my complaint. I have two acquaintances that absolutely refused to hunt them last year. One of the dudes drew again this year. At least make them transferable

TAFKAP

Why are they putting in for the draw if they don't want to hunt?

They were complaining about traveling to S/E TN to hunt and spending a bunch of money. I had room in my group where they could join in to hunt around Martin, and they didn't take me up on it. Dunno.....

But it's frustrating to know the high probability of people not using their 'opportunity'........there's that word again

4scout

My son and I put in for the first time and neither got drawn.

Are you able to put in as a group or is it just individually? I couldn't figure out how to do it as a group.

rukiddin

I got in ....
Going with Double HH Outfitters

I've said ever since it started, I wanted to do it. TWRA posted on FB the day that it ended at midnight. I applied and called 3 other buddies and they applied too.

I got drawn and one other buddy did as well. I called double HH that same day and got a hunt lined up for my buddy and I.

archer19

I've said ever since it started, I wanted to do it. TWRA posted on FB the day that it ended at midnight. I applied and called 3 other buddies and they applied too.

I got drawn and one other buddy did as well. I called double HH that same day and got a hunt lined up for my buddy and I.
What date you get?
I'm scheduled for dec. 12

TAFKAP

Southern Knights' Retrievers recommends as close to Christmas/New Years as possible. In my previous 3 years experience, the birds start to arrive early December, with the biggest accumulation at the beginning of the year. They tend to stay around through January, but the closer you get to February, the more you risk them moving on. The 3 times I've gone, I was there a day or two surrounding 1/20, and it was suggested I not be as late going forward.

TAFKAP

@TAFKAP
Speaking of which, I have looked but can't seem to find it.
I am interested in your prep and cooking you did on yours.

Treat the breast like a big steak....London broil or tri-tip. It's more a roast than a "steak". Liberally salt & pepper a couple hours beforehand, turning the meat a couple times to make sure it's getting a good seasoning. Salt & pepper is all you should need, with maybe a touch of garlic powder.

I reverse sear it in a charcoal smoker. Oak wood is my favorite to use. I'll get a chimney going of oak (or cherry....or combo) chunks, and burn them down to a good flame. After they're glowing, dump them and put the meat on. "Smoke" roast in offset heat for about 20 mins, maybe adding something to kick up the smoke. Use a thermometer if you'd like to monitor temp. Don't go over 125° in the middle.

While the meat is smoke roasting, get another chimney of charcoal ready to go. This will dump on your already going pile. When the meat hits 120°-125° internal, pull it and let it rest. Get your charcoal pile screaming hot with the new batch, & sear both sides of the rested meat for about 2mins/side.

Let it rest 20 mins,, then slice against the grain in thin strips.

TAFKAP

Mine usually looks about like this when I'm done
83113188_996942622395_3361792119441195008_n.jpg

Pioneer1789

I cubed my breasts up, marinated them, and grilled them medium rare. Good eating! The leg tendons on a crane are like zip ties only tougher. They'll wreck a knife blade. I tried to save drumsticks, but by the time you cut all those tendons and filet the meat off them, you only get a couple ounces of meat. The thighs only have one of those tendons to cut out. Good meat most people throw away.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I cubed my breasts up, marinated them, and grilled them medium rare. Good eating! The leg tendons on a crane are like zip ties only tougher. They'll wreck a knife blade. I tried to save drumsticks, but by the time you cut all those tendons and filet the meat off them, you only get a couple ounces of meat. The thighs only have one of those tendons to cut out. Good meat most people throw away.
I was thinking about throwing both in a crockpot for about 8 hours and see how that did.

LOL I will if I actually kill one anyway. :D

TAFKAP

The legs are awesome in a long braise......I also preserved them in duck-fat, confit style. Haven't eaten any yet, but my buddy said they were great.

Salt & pepper season....brown on all sides in a cast iron pot. Remove meat & deglaze with chicken stock or a half-cup of red wine. Add enough stock to reach about halfway up, cover the pot, and put in the oven on 300° for about 6 hours.

Pioneer1789

The legs are awesome in a long braise......I also preserved them in duck-fat, confit style. Haven't eaten any yet, but my buddy said they were great.

Salt & pepper season....brown on all sides in a cast iron pot. Remove meat & deglaze with chicken stock or a half-cup of red wine. Add enough stock to reach about halfway up, cover the pot, and put in the oven on 300° for about 6 hours.
Huh. They must break down in the slow cooker. They were a pain to cut up raw.

Latest posts