Safety harness

Jcalder

With hunting season slowly approaching I wanna get a new safety harness. I currently have a HSS tree stalker. My biggest complaint with it is the tether isn't long enough to turn around in my stand to be able to shoot on my off side. I've looked at the newer HSS and like the fact that tey come with a lineman's belt. But not sure the tethers are any longer than they were 5-7 years ago when I purchased what I have. I've also looked at the muddy version of the new HSS. The tether length is very important. Another thing I prefer is the lineman's belt but I can get one seperate. Any suggestions and pros and cons. Even harnesses that I haven't mentioned.

deerhunter10

I use hss but I have a extension for my tether. i think they are the most comfortable and probably the best on the market. just get the extra rope to extend it. i have the tree stalker now but im getting the reversible one this year. the tree stalker is nice for when its hot. the hss has the pockets so that's really nice for me. all pros for the hss from me atleast.

lightfoot

2-Step Enabled
Hunter Safety System� Rope - Style Tree Strap. That's what I use, you can adjust in tree for different lengths.

Jcalder

deerhunter10 said:
I use hss but I have a extension for my tether. i think they are the most comfortable and probably the best on the market. just get the extra rope to extend it. i have the tree stalker now but im getting the reversible one this year. the tree stalker is nice for when its hot. the hss has the pockets so that's really nice for me. all pros for the hss from me atleast.

The harness I want won't have the pockets. I think I'll miss those for sure.

scn

Jcalder said:
lightfoot said:
Hunter Safety System� Rope - Style Tree Strap. That's what I use, you can adjust in tree for different lengths.

After doing some research you solved one problem.

Any pros and cons of harnesses on the market

I also use a rope tether that makes it easy to adjust the length.

I'm not sure there is a "perfect" harness. All have their pros and cons. The harnesses with the vest and pockets are really convenient for storing gear such as gloves and rangefinders where they are easily accessable. Mine also stores the "step strap" that can prevent the blood pooling deal if you fall and can't get back in your stand. But, you pay with extra weight and extra heat in early season.

The good "harness only" systems are much lighter and cooler, but you give up all the pockets.

HSS has a "hybrid" out this fall that combines the two with pockets but bare on top. If I were ordering, I think that is what I would get.

Vermin93

After owning and using a HSS and a Muddy harness and then switching to a rock climbing harness last year, I gotta be honest with you - I don't understand how there is still a market for typical 4-point treestand harnesses like HSS, Muddy, Tree Spider, etc. My rock climbing harness seems safer and easier to use. It also cost less than my HSS and Muddy harnesses. I keep telling myself that I must be missing something. I don't understand why the hunting community has not swarmed to rock climbing style harnesses for treestand use.

This is the one I use.

BLACK DIAMOND Bod Climbing Harness

I just bought a 2nd one while it's on sale so I can have one in TN and one to use in TX and KS when I'm not using the Guido's Web treestand, which has it all built-in. I use my rock climbing harness along with the HSS rope style tree strap and my Muddy rope style lineman's belt and I'm good to go.

As was previously mentioned, The HSS rope style tree strap will solve your issue with tether length if you want to continue to use the HSS that you already have.

Jcalder

Vermin93 said:
After owning and using a HSS and a Muddy harness and then switching to a rock climbing harness last year, I gotta be honest with you - I don't understand how there is still a market for typical 4-point treestand harnesses like HSS, Muddy, Tree Spider, etc. My rock climbing harness seems safer and easier to use. It also cost less than my HSS and Muddy harnesses. I keep telling myself that I must be missing something. I don't understand why the hunting community has not swarmed to rock climbing style harnesses for treestand use.

This is the one I use.

BLACK DIAMOND Bod Climbing Harness

I just bought a 2nd one while it's on sale so I can have one in TN and one to use in TX and KS when I'm not using the Guido's Web treestand, which has it all built-in. I use my rock climbing harness along with the HSS rope style tree strap and my Muddy rope style lineman's belt and I'm good to go.

As was previously mentioned, The HSS rope style tree strap will solve your issue with tether length if you want to continue to use the HSS that you already have.

Isn't this similar to the first harnesses people used 20-30 yrs ago. I've heard some horror stories of finding someone that's fell out and got stuck upside down. As far as using this harness to hang lock-ons and climbing sticks with a lineman's belt I see no issue. But what if you fall out awkwardly can you get yourself straightened back out?

Vermin93

Jcalder said:
Isn't this similar to the first harnesses people used 20-30 yrs ago. I've heard some horror stories of finding someone that's fell out and got stuck upside down. As far as using this harness to hang lock-ons and climbing sticks with a lineman's belt I see no issue. But what if you fall out awkwardly can you get yourself straightened back out?

I was concerned about that and read a lot of threads on other hunting sites about it. Here is one of those threads where it was debated. I believe the rock climbers won the debate.

rock climbing harness for fall restraint

Here is a video of the upside down scenario: Inverted in a treestand harness?

I prefer the idea of facing the tree with the tether rope in front of me and would rather be in this situation: Tree stand fall recovery

than these situations: Fell from a Treestand - Now What?

Jcalder

I've harnesses similar to those. They like a lineman's harness for climbing light poles. How much of a hassle is it tho with the tether being tied to the front vs the standard tether behind the head? I also wear my current harness under my outter layers in cold weather with the tether coming out my collar area. I know those harnesses over several layers can get things in a bind we'd rather not have in a bind. But how would you go about solving this? You've got me leaning toward getting one of these for hanging stands and using my old harness with the rope system. The biggest problem with my old harness is its 5-7 years old and starting show it's wear. Do I still trust it? Sure.

Vermin93

Jcalder said:
I've harnesses similar to those. They like a lineman's harness for climbing light poles. How much of a hassle is it tho with the tether being tied to the front vs the standard tether behind the head?

So much of a hassle that I bought a second one to hunt with.