Just a reminder. Wear your safety harness!!

Duck dogn

I just want to remind everyone that it only takes a second to ruin your life forever wear your safety harness. I went yesterday to verify my straps and chains was still good on my lockons, so I climb up my sticks, and onto the platform, and think you big dummy you don't hunt without a harness so why check stands without one. Thankful nothing happened but it was definitely a thought.

JCDEERMAN

Absolutely. Last year was the first time I ever used a safety harness while putting up stands and checking them....after 25+ years. Not only is it smart, but makes things so much easier being hand free doing what you need to do. Should have been doing it all these years for both reasons I mentioned.

CrossVolle

A tree tether is also standard on all of my sets. Part of the actual stand if you will. Cannot tell you how many times i would get to a set and have my harness on with no tether. Maddening... so i started paying the extra $20 to buy a good tether with every stand i own.

utvolsfan77

A tree tether is also standard on all of my sets. Part of the actual stand if you will. Cannot tell you how many times i would get to a set and have my harness on with no tether. Maddening... so i started paying the extra $20 to buy a good tether with every stand i own.
CrossVolle, by tether, do you mean what a lot of folks call a "lifeline"? I have those on all of my ladder stands and it isn't hard to get used to at all. The biggest advantage is that my safety harness keeps me connected from the ground all the way up the tree and/or back down, whereas I used to climb the ladder and "snap in" once I got up on the platform. For the added protection, I can slide the Prussic knot up and down the main line, no problem.

Knothead

I use a lifeline on all mine (ladders and lock-ons). I won't leave the ground unless I'm connected. I got to my lock on a couple years ago (long walk), only to realize the carabiner was not on my safety harness strap. I hunted from the ground that day. Just not worth taking the chance.

BSK

Have to admit, I do not use safety lines for climbing ladder stands. Risky? Yes. But setting them up on 42 ladders, 20 of which get moved every year? Never going to happen. Life is full of risks. That's one of mine.

TheLBLman

Have to admit, I do not use safety lines for climbing ladder stands. . . . . Never going to happen. Life is full of risks. That's one of mine.
While I agree that living is full of risks, as your friend, I encourage you to re-evaluate the risks of ladder stands. You may have a false sense of security with them, and it only takes one small miscalculation to fall head-first @ 15 feet onto hard ground.

Until a few years ago, I never wore a harness while in a ladder stand, much less had a lifeline. But missing a step only about 10 feet off the ground (while descending) taught me a valuable lesson. I could have easily have landed on my head, but was just lucky to land on my feet, my only injury being a broken foot (and 3 broken toes). I believe my tightly laced snake boots prevented a broken ankle.

I now better see the merits in using lifelines on ladder stands, but admit, I don't have them on all, mainly just the taller ones, but plan to start using them 100%. I do use a safety harness while sitting, never mind entering & exiting may be the riskier times.

I had a friend last year who broke his femur with a 4-ft fall from a ladder stand, and he was using a lifeline! His foot slipped, and he fell, with his leg hung between the rungs. Not sure if the lifeline helped, but may have prevented his head from banging the ground.

CrossVolle

CrossVolle, by tether, do you mean what a lot of folks call a "lifeline"? I have those on all of my ladder stands and it isn't hard to get used to at all. The biggest advantage is that my safety harness keeps me connected from the ground all the way up the tree and/or back down, whereas I used to climb the ladder and "snap in" once I got up on the platform. For the added protection, I can slide the Prussic knot up and down the main line, no problem.
I do not. I just use the tree tethers. The lifelines have a reflective thread in them that I'm not a fan of. Don't wanna anyone being able to spot my sets that easy. I probably should use them, honestly.

TheLBLman

The lifelines have a reflective thread in them that I'm not a fan of.
This is not necessarily the case.
SOME lifelines are made with a reflective material, MANY are not.
I use both, depending on the circumstances.

For example, these Summit branded lifelines are NOT reflective.

Latest posts