Saddles

X-Tennessean

I have 2 and have yet to use either one!
JX3 and a Method Metal less. All the gear to single stick with including the new ION, I just can't seem to get involved with deer hunting this year.....never did anything with my plots or stands and have not looked at any of my cell cameras.
Think I may take a year off.

Hduke86

I have 2 and have yet to use either one!
JX3 and a Method Metal less. All the gear to single stick with including the new ION, I just can't seem to get involved with deer hunting this year.....never did anything with my plots or stands and have not looked at any of my cell cameras.
Think I may take a year off.
I feel that way some times but I find that it's usually the hot as heck weather that slows my eagerness to hunt but once it starts to cool off and the leaves start to change it's a different ballgame and I can't wait to go sit in the woods.

UTGrad

Interesting topic with the popularity boom in saddle hunting. I've never done saddles but I have used a LW Assault II with sticks for mobile hunting past few seasons and honestly I started grabbing the good ole Summit Viper again.

A mobile stand and stick or saddle set up is great in unknown spots on public, but I hunt private land with set hang ons and when I do hunt public I know trees I can hit with my climber.

I may be the odd one out but nothing beats the comfort of a Summit Viper climber and I've killed a lot of deer with a bow out of them.

tree_ghost

What problems you having? Have to cant the bow a little?
No I naturally cant my bow And that seems to be the problem. My upper limb contacts the tree when I try and use it to hide myself and shoot the 9-11o'clock position which is my preferred position to shoot. If I want to shoot without contacting the tree I have to move my body into a position that would make me shoot from my 7-9 o'clock positions which in my opinion exposes me and my movement more than I would like. I can also come across my bridge and shoot my 1-2o'clock position but it's real tough for me to get my body far enough away from the tree to keep my riser from hitting and get proper form for the shot. I'm gonna add my 2 squirrel steps on my predator and see if that helps any.

with my compound I can't shoot dang near any conceivable position I can contort myself into.

PickettSFHunter

Everyone seems to be saying saddle hunting is manly for bowhunting.
What's the disadvantage of using a gun?
I like gun hunting out of mine, always can find a way to get a good solid rest on the tree. That being said, I personally don't like hunting in cold weather with a saddle, just not as easy with several layers on IMO. With gun being during colder weather sometimes, that discourages me. May not bother others but it does me.

Brandon87

I'm still in the practice mode with my saddle can't wait to get a hunt in with it this year. I got it for a few of the WMA's I normally hunt but have a lease now, but I still plan to use it when I don't have the kids with me

Latest posts