Sabot?

Grill-n-man

The orange sabots from Knight are called easy glide sabots and come from Knight with their 250gr bloodline bullets only. Their other saboted bullets come with high pressure sabots and color depends on bullet diameter. You can get the orange easy glides sabots only but they are not for high pressure loads. Knight, hornady, Harvester, etc have green and black high pressure sabots for 45 cal and 44 cal bullets. Harvester actually makes a high pressure sabot, can't remember color but says right on packaging, for smokeless muzzleloaders. You are not going to get the pressure build with the easy glide sabots from Knight. They work great with pyrodex to blackthorn but are not intended for smokeless guns unless it's a tight bore

GMB54

Their other saboted bullets come with high pressure sabots and color depends on bullet diameter. You can get the orange easy glides sabots only but they are not for high pressure loads
That is 100% false. Its a MMP HPH-24 sabot. Same polymer used and style as the HPH-12. Its just a smaller loaded OD. Ive shot quite a few of them in my Ultra Light Arms model 20 50cal with N110, 4759 and N120. Never blew a single one. My Douglas barrel though is not loose like many MLIIs.

Barnes uses the exact same sabot with the TEZ bullet line. Its just dyed blue. Knights RED sabot is just a MMP Orange dyed red. Shot a bunch of those in my old MLII also. I actually talked to Del many many times about this kind of stuff. He sent me prototypes to test and 1000s of sabots for my efforts.

Last edited:

Grill-n-man

I apologize for the inaccurate information. Was simply giving advise based upon standard/mass production barrels for the common brands of muzzleloader rifles from talks with Knight builders and 2 pro shooters who have taken multiple 1000yd matches at NMLRA events. And said information was simply general advise for what one would consider off the shelf muzzleloader rifles. I didn't realize the subject was custom built guns who's bores are generally tighter than off the shelf, so tight that one can knurl a bullet and achieve a gas seal. So allow me to rephrase my comments.
The orange easy glide sabots are not recommended for barrels that may be slightly over bored or used with a bullet who's OD will not allow the sabot to properly engage the rifling upon firing. Depending on bore they may cause gases from the powder igniting to escape around the sabot to cause issues with consistent velocity and accuracy. They are intended to ease the loading of sabot and bullet combo in tighter bores and/or fouled dirty barrel with certain bullets, such as the Lehigh Defense made 250gr Bloodline Bullet. In this case one would need to go with either a sabot of larger OD. If the issue is with a custom built gun one may have to use a micrometer to determine the true ID of the barrel (bore) so as to find a sabot with the correct OD to provide the needed gas seal for optimal performance. Also one may need to check manufacture recommendations that the sabot, although of proper fit/size, can maintain its integrity with the higher pressure and burn rate of a particular powder especially smokeless of which maybe outside the intended use of a certain sabot which may result in improper performance or create a safety issue. Although the orange sabots may work well in many other muzzleloader barrels it may not be the correct one for this particular barrel. There are other sabots whose color varies based upon the particular manufacture's intent that may be better suited/designed.
Again I apologize for providing a statement with absolutely no truth to it as it was not my intention.

Latest posts