Sabot selection help please

8up

I have a TC SS Omega with the Fluted 28" barrel and It shoots well at 100 my farthest shot was probably 125yds.

My load was 250gr Shockwaves with the Yellow sabot they come with and tried another one with blue tip can't remember the brand. Problem is it fits to darn tight it is impossible to shoot a second shot without swabbing. It gets stuck where the load top would start. I have been lucky over the years because I have missed twice and would 1 but still managed to swab the barrel and reload and make a kill shot.

Can anyone tell me if the is a smaller diameter sabot that would help?

mike243

The SST with the red sabot load pretty good after multiple shots, the bad thing is the cost to test,if you were close i'd give you a couple to try,think they say low drag? ,2nd choice would be a power belt for the 2nd shot if they are accurate in your gun

GMB54

You can buy the bonded blue tips with the Super Glide Sabots
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thompson ... 740784.uts

You can buy just the sabots too but they might be harder to find. Super Glides are the smallest OD sabot ive seen besides Gonic specialty sabots. MMP 3P-EZ are the next smallest. They come with the Hornady SSTs and Traditions Smack Downs. All the bullets are just SSTs with different color tips.

The blue tip though is the only one that is bonded and only sold by TC. They are a much tougher bullet.

mike243

The bonded are to hard and may not expand unless heavy bone is hit,even the none bonded shooting smokeless has problems on rib shots

8up

Thanks everyone

GMB54":x7zotfwj said:
You can buy the bonded blue tips with the Super Glide Sabots
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thompson ... 740784.uts

You can buy just the sabots too but they might be harder to find. Super Glides are the smallest OD sabot ive seen besides Gonic specialty sabots. MMP 3P-EZ are the next smallest. They come with the Hornady SSTs and Traditions Smack Downs. All the bullets are just SSTs with different color tips.

The blue tip though is the only one that is bonded and only sold by TC. They are a much tougher bullet.

I believe the Super Glides is what I shot last year and they were a little better but I think my problem might have been from a barrel that was victim to an under size tool in cutting it, allowing the diameter to be too small by a few 1000ths . The area where the load sets is where the problem is.

Is it possible that in this one gun with what I am assuming is super tight tolerance or maybe under size the triple 7 pellets could burn differently giving me a more than normal amount of fouling?

GMB54

The area where the load sits and gets heavy fouling is VERY common with Triple7...Its the infamous crud ring and its nearly impossible to seat a follow up shot without swabbing.

Swab between shots or switch to Blackhorn209. Milder primers might help a little bit but they wont make it go away. Blackhorn209 is the best solution and works great in the Omega. Just keep the breach plug cleaned properly with a 1/8th drill bit after each range session.

8up

Thanks GMB54, I tried to buy some blackhorn last year but I had the same problem I found today its 2 hours to the closest place that has any or I can pay twice the price and have it shipped. I may have to just suck it up and order it.

Can you give me any idea on where to find a place to start with best loads in this 28" Omega as for charge and round?

What other supplies and knowledge will I need going from pellets to Blackhorn?

Mike Belt

Even when I'm on stand I run a spit swab between shots. Swabbing and reloading with a deer on the ground and another one standing there in front of you is a challenge.

GMB54

8up":287fjuvp said:
Thanks GMB54, I tried to buy some blackhorn last year but I had the same problem I found today its 2 hours to the closest place that has any or I can pay twice the price and have it shipped. I may have to just suck it up and order it.

Can you give me any idea on where to find a place to start with best loads in this 28" Omega as for charge and round?

The only thing you will need is a way to measure the Blackhorn209 or any loose powder actually....And.....a way to store the powder. Many of us use cheap tubes. Lanes Tubes are for sale on Ebay IIRC. They are just 7ml or 10ml plastic tubes with a screw on cap. Wipe the inside with a dryer sheet to prevent static cling.

T/C U-View powder measure is popular. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thompson ... 734695.uts
Powder spout for the bottle is nice to have too. http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... s?slotId=9

Lanes tubes http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Powder-Sp ... 1341162813

Now, if you already have a scale for reloading centerfires you can use that with Blackhorn209. 70gr by weight=100gr by volume. Just weight them out and dump the powder in the tubes.

In other words....BH209 volume x .7=weight
90grV x .7=63gr by weight
120grV x .7=84gr by weight

8up

SKFOOTER":310e5i1n said:
Wal Mart sells Blackhorn 209 powder now.

I see its not listed on there site but I have my son checking a store for me

edit: Scored a can thanks SKFOOTER

8up

GMB54":3cs6ag6b said:
8up":3cs6ag6b said:

The only thing you will need is a way to measure the Blackhorn209 or any loose powder actually....And.....a way to store the powder. Many of us use cheap tubes. Lanes Tubes are for sale on Ebay IIRC. They are just 7ml or 10ml plastic tubes with a screw on cap. Wipe the inside with a dryer sheet to prevent static cling.

T/C U-View powder measure is popular. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thompson ... 734695.uts
Powder spout for the bottle is nice to have too. http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... s?slotId=9

Lanes tubes http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Powder-Sp ... 1341162813

Now, if you already have a scale for reloading centerfires you can use that with Blackhorn209. 70gr by weight=100gr by volume. Just weight them out and dump the powder in the tubes.

In other words....BH209 volume x .7=weight
90grV x .7=63gr by weight
120grV x .7=84gr by weight

I sent you a PM

GMB54

Responded to your PM

The Hornady 3 petal Low Drag sabots are MMP 3P-EZ sabots dyed red instead of black. I think Traditions has them dyed yellow but they are all the same sabot. They measure around .501 with a .452 bullet in them.

T/C Super Glides are just under .500 loaded OD with a .452 bullet.

Harvester Black Crushribs are around .503 with the same bullet but they will feel easier to load than the Harvester EZ-Load sabots which are also around .503. Typically the Harvester Black Crushrib is the recommended sabot for use in the Omega with BH209 unless your bore is unusually tight for a T/C.

Harvester does offer free sample packs or i know they did. Just call them...Great people. https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/
(800) 922-6287

Now, not all 45cal bullets commonly used for MLs are .452. Bullets such as Barnes are closer to .450 so its quite easy to simply swap bullets if its too tight or too loose. Some of the Speers, Noslers, Harvester PT Golds and Sierras run closer to .451.

8up

GMB54":3qsmd996 said:
Responded to your PM

The Hornady 3 petal Low Drag sabots are MMP 3P-EZ sabots dyed red instead of black. I think Traditions has them dyed yellow but they are all the same sabot. They measure around .501 with a .452 bullet in them.

T/C Super Glides are just under .500 loaded OD with a .452 bullet.

Harvester Black Crushribs are around .503 with the same bullet but they will feel easier to load than the Harvester EZ-Load sabots which are also around .503. Typically the Harvester Black Crushrib is the recommended sabot for use in the Omega with BH209 unless your bore is unusually tight for a T/C.

Harvester does offer free sample packs or i know they did. Just call them...Great people. https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/
(800) 922-6287

Now, not all 45cal bullets commonly used for MLs are .452. Bullets such as Barnes are closer to .450 so its quite easy to simply swap bullets if its too tight or too loose. Some of the Speers, Noslers, Harvester PT Golds and Sierras run closer to .451.
Wish I had saw this when you posted it. I checked my PM's for a reply but didn't think to check this post. Had I seen it I would have bought the Super Glides. But I bought the Barnes Spitfire TEZ in 250gr. I also picked up a pack of the Harvester Black crushed rib.

Of 5 MZ I have loaded this specific Omega is by far the tightest.

SKFOOTER

In my opinion the Barnes Spitfire TEZ are the easiest loading saboted bullets in a Thompson Center barrel. I've been shooting them for years in my Encore. Try 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 with those TEZ's in your Omega. You can thank me later.

GMB54

I dont think i have any Super Glides to measure with the exact same bullet but they should be smaller than the TEZ/HPH-24 sabot. Harvester Crushib with the same bullet will load slightly easier than a TEZ sabot. The ribs compress easier so even though its a similar OD, its feels easier to load.

Latest posts