Sabot Meat

elknturkey

No not normal. I don't even see how it's possible without the bullet tumbling and going in sabot first. Be interesting to hear some possible causes

Fulldraw61

Mike Belt":1wu0ub00 said:
Shooting a 50 cal and Barnes 290 gr. TEZ. At 50 yards I'm digging small pieces of the sabot out of the deer. This normal?
Barnes are great bullets so I am pretty sure it is not the bullet. By the sabot not releasing at around 20 to 25 yards it can only be 1 of 2 things. Sabot petals too thin or not enough velocity. What powder are you using or pellets.? How much powder are you using? You may try a thicker walled sabot for increased chamber pressure or up your volume of propellant. I shoot Hornady SST 250 grain pushed by 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 and at the range my sabots drop at about 20 yards. I wouldn't try to re invent the wheel just tweek your setup and you should be fine. The sabots have to have enough chamber pressure to open up the petals upon leaving the muzzle. Hope this helps.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Hardwoodmaterials

Are you sure it's pieces of the sabot and not pieces of the blue tip? The blue tip is a pretty good size piece if you have ever seen one taken apart. I have never seen a sabot stick with a bullet very far but I'm sure if the conditions are just right it could happen.

Hunter 257W

It seems impossible for the wind to not open the sabot petals and make it drop off not far from the muzzle? I've found them no more than 50 feet from where I was shooting. I guess if you are getting the accuracy you need to hit the deer it's not hurting anything.

Wobblyshot1

IMHO you had a failure of the sabot to perform as intended. Fortunately it didn't matter this time. Now if would have been 75 or a 100 yards it may have been a different story.

Latest posts