Sabot?

TRIGGER

School me on sabots. You may have read my other post about my new(to me) smokeless shooting crazy. I changed scopes and had the same results. I was using a 300 grain knight hollow point with an orange sabot. The orange sabots went down the barrel fairly easy. I took the black sabots off of some 250 grain Barnes hollow points. These bullets are both the same besides the grain, just marketed different.
The black sabots went down with quite a bit of resistance but the gun shot a lot more consistent with the black sabots.
Anyone have any suggestions for a good sabot to try? Could the sabot itself make me miss a 16" target at 100 yards?

backyardtndeer

Could the sabot itself make me miss a 16" target at 100 yards?
Yes it could.

I used to use tc 240 grain xtp mags. They performed great for me in my accura v2, in my black diamond, and in the accura mr I bought my wife. Unfortunately tc quit selling them, or at least I have been unable to find them as they were. I since went to Hornady American whitetail(240 grain interlock) for my wife's mr and am using Hornady 240 grain xtp mags in my accura. Those all use black sabots iirc. In cwd zone, been a few years since we have shot them.

Carlos

I'm not sure if they'd cause that or not.

I've always used the 240 grain xtp's as well. They're 45 caliber, and the sabot makes up the difference into 50cal.

GMB54

Im pretty sure the Barnes black sabot with the 250gr Expanders is a MMP HPH-12. The Knight sabot is dyed orange just for Knight. If its a 4 petal its probably a HPH-24 and if its a 3 petal its a 3Petal-EZ. All made by MMP.

MMP does make and sell a orange sabot too but its for 458 bullets, not .451-.452 bullets. Its close to a HPH-12 in loaded OD.

TRIGGER

Im pretty sure the Barnes black sabot with the 250gr Expanders is a MMP HPH-12. The Knight sabot is dyed orange just for Knight. If its a 4 petal its probably a HPH-24 and if its a 3 petal its a 3Petal-EZ. All made by MMP.

MMP does make and sell a orange sabot too but its for 458 bullets, not .451-.452 bullets. Its close to a HPH-12 in loaded OD.

They are both 4 petal. The both look exactly the same but load totally different.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
While trying different sabots with different resistance going into the barrel it can be difficult to have a consistent loading pressure. That bullet that goes in easy and slams home can have a much different loading pressure than one that one that takes a harder push. It's very easy to be off when trying different sabots. 2 identical guns can might shoot the same bullet/sabot differently. Find the one that you can load and shoot consistent groups and go from there .

TRIGGER

While trying different sabots with different resistance going into the barrel it can be difficult to have a consistent loading pressure. That bullet that goes in easy and slams home can have a much different loading pressure than one that one that takes a harder push. It's very easy to be off when trying different sabots. 2 identical guns can might shoot the same bullet/sabot differently. Find the one that you can load and shoot consistent groups and go from there .

With the orange sabots that come with the night bullets I get fliers that don't even hit the target so those are out lol.

jlanecr500

Smokeless and non-smokeless are 2 different animals. Combining the 2 forums invites confusion and misinformation. At some point, I look for someone to get hurt.

The savage 50cal bores are better fitted to 45-70 sized bullets which measure .458". Many of the readily available ml bullets are .450", .451", and .452". The larger 45-70 300gr to 325gr bullet combined with a Harvester crushrib or MMP orange sabot (whichever fit best) over 63gr of Reloder 7 or IMR/H4198 is a winning load. I've not found a Savage that didn't like it. I can mail you some bullets but it has been so long since I owned a 50 cal that I don't have any sabots.

GMB54

HPH-12 sabot is around .506-.507 loaded OD
HPB-24 sabot is around .503-.504 loaded OD

Those numbers are with .451-.452 bullets. Barnes 45s tend to run slightly smaller than that. Depends on which Barnes. Tight is Right in a Savage MLII with smokeless. Their bores also tend to be a little on the large side.

MMP Orange 50x458 with pretty much any bullet for 45-70 typical loads is a good bet. Hotter loads you may like the BlackCrushrib with the 458s. My old MLII did great with a MMP Orange and 63gr of Reloder7 or 58gr of N120. Both are close in speed but Reloder7 is a little easier on sabots. Its also quite a bit dirtier than N120.

WvKHo1O.jpg

TRIGGER

Smokeless and non-smokeless are 2 different animals. Combining the 2 forums invites confusion and misinformation. At some point, I look for someone to get hurt.

The savage 50cal bores are better fitted to 45-70 sized bullets which measure .458". Many of the readily available ml bullets are .450", .451", and .452". The larger 45-70 300gr to 325gr bullet combined with a Harvester crushrib or MMP orange sabot (whichever fit best) over 63gr of Reloder 7 or IMR/H4198 is a winning load. I've not found a Savage that didn't like it. I can mail you some bullets but it has been so long since I owned a 50 cal that I don't have any sabots.

These bullets measure .451. I have used the 250 grain Barnes mz expanders in my previous black powder ML with good results. The guy I purchased the gun from says it shoots best with 44 grains of accurate 5744 behind a 300 grain bullet so i figured that's where I need to start. I went on the hunt for 300 grain Barnes expander MZ's with no luck when someone here put me on the knight bullets made by Barnes and I could find them in 300 grain. I have 100 of them. The sabots on these are orange and look identical to the black ones that come with the Barnes 250 grain but don't load anything like one another. Best I can tell they are mmp sabots??? If I can't get this thing to shoot like I want it to where do you think I should start? The bullets,powder,sabots or just throw it all out the window and start with a whole different set up?

jlanecr500

You already have 5144 powder that will work at 44gr. With how difficult finding components can be, I'd give it a try. I had issues with that powder about 10 years ago and once I found the Reloder 7 load, I never looked back.
Order some of the MMP orange high pressure sabots I linked to in my last post. PM me your address and I'll get some bullets in the mail. The fit needs to be pretty snug. Smokeless powder has to have a maintained pressure (1000psi and up depending on powder) on it after ignition to keep burning. A loose fitting load will not attain that pressure. You might want to drill a hole about 1/2" deep in a golf ball to put on the end of the ramrod so as not to bruise your palm when loading. I'll return pm my phone # so we can get this going for this season.

GMB54

Here is how you tell the difference in HPH-12 and HPH-24. Ignore the color. The 12 has a etched looking number. The 24 has a stamped looking number. Im almost 100% certain the Barnes Expander MZ sabots are HPH-12.

12 on left and 24 on right. Color and number dont meen a thing. Etched or stamped is what matters.
rfk4xUH.jpg

Oked

I shoot a 325 grain ftx with a harvester bcr sabot and 63 grains of reloader 7 in 2 different smokeless guns and they both shoot under an inch. So true smokeless and a regular muzzleloader are completely different!!!

TRIGGER

Here is how you tell the difference in HPH-12 and HPH-24. Ignore the color. The 12 has a etched looking number. The 24 has a stamped looking number. Im almost 100% certain the Barnes Expander MZ sabots are HPH-12.

12 on left and 24 on right. Color and number dont meen a thing. Etched or stamped is what matters.
rfk4xUH.jpg
These are the two I have been referencing
E400C6E3-3802-4923-9BA5-A1E1C0985216.jpeg
4859E294-4C38-47F1-BAFF-8D34303971DE.jpeg