River Gauges

Displaced_Vol

Shamelessly asking for info. Say a body wanted to know which river gauge to use for some of the various wmas and public grounds in far west TN. Is it the MS River at Memphis? I have a feeling there may be a few more that come into play, maybe something specifically on the obion or Forked Deer… it's pretty easy for me in west KY as basically all my haunts are dictated by the OH River at Cairo.

Anyway if somebody in the know wants to PM I can put more specifics in a message and I'd be happy to reciprocate info if anybody is interested.

It's funny as I look closer at West TN, there seems to be a hell of a lot of potential opportunity for anybody that wants to go hunt ducks…no online blind draw required…

TAFKAP

The USACE has a site for the whole country that I use on a regular basis. www.rivergages.com (yes, that's an intentional typo)

Use the pull-down or click on the map for Memphis District, select your river basin, and select a gauge.

The MS river has (10) real-time gauges between Hickman, KY and Friars Point, MS. The other tributary rivers have gauges, but not at such a high interval. However, the uplink system can be buggy at times, so the NOAA site is a good backup, although not quite as user friendly as the one the CORPS operates.

TAFKAP

But as for your specific question, there are a number of Obion/F.D. gauges to choose from.

1642006005225.png

TAFKAP

Most of the gauges I know of are either USACE operated or USGS operated. Both those sites compile and make them accessible.

I like the Corps one because it overlays rainfall data on top of river stages, plus you can set numerous different date ranges.

Bgoodman30

Water levels as it pertains to the gauges is a fine science that takes a lot of time on the water... It took us a lot of years to learn where the water would be at each level and most importantly where the ducks would be at each level. Our water is about 72 hours behind the river gauge anyway.. Just because there is water doesn't mean the ducks want it yet... The best thing you can do is get in the boat and spend some time.. If you want to learn it there is no better time than right now...

Displaced_Vol

Water levels as it pertains to the gauges is a fine science that takes a lot of time on the water... It took us a lot of years to learn where the water would be at each level and most importantly where the ducks would be at each level. Our water is about 72 hours behind the river gauge anyway.. Just because there is water doesn't mean the ducks want it yet... The best thing you can do is get in the boat and spend some time.. If you want to learn it there is no better time than right now...
No doubt. I keep notes as best I can anytime I get to west KY and the river is out. Intend to do the same thing in west TN. Figuring it out is half the fun, just want to make sure I'm looking at the most relevant data.

Displaced_Vol

No doubt. I keep notes as best I can anytime I get to west KY and the river is out. Intend to do the same thing in west TN. Figuring it out is half the fun, just want to make sure I'm looking at the most relevant data.

Smashdn

Every backwater is different. 39' on a certain gauge this time may not put water where it did at 39' last time. Got to factor in headwater and how fast or slow it is rising and falling. How long the water stays out. Is it steady or fluctuating.

USGS Waterwatch. Click the gauge and use the forecast tab. Click the graph so it opens a new window. Sometimes the little popup graph doesn't match the actual one.

Displaced_Vol

Every backwater is different. 39' on a certain gauge this time may not put water where it did at 39' last time. Got to factor in headwater and how fast or slow it is rising and falling. How long the water stays out. Is it steady or fluctuating.

USGS Waterwatch. Click the gauge and use the forecast tab. Click the graph so it opens a new window. Sometimes the little popup graph doesn't match the actual one.
That's great info, thanks @Smashdn

Some of my gang figured that last weekend when they went to a spot they were told would be easy to boat to, but even with a few extra feet on the gauge it was a no-go in their boats.

Smashdn

That's great info, thanks @Smashdn

Some of my gang figured that last weekend when they went to a spot they were told would be easy to boat to, but even with a few extra feet on the gauge it was a no-go in their boats.

I went last weekend when the gauge was 2' higher than a time I had been to this spot before. First time it was thigh deep. This time it was 8' with substantial current.

Wind makes a difference too if it is flooding fields. A big wind will push water.

You can get your rboat stranded too if it falls out. Or flood your truck if you park somewhere on a rising river. You got to be on you A game.

Latest posts