Duck River Wildlife refuge

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
We did a drive through of The Refuge today. Thin ice and snow covered 95% of it. 1st time we have ever been that we saw Zero ducks feeding in the Refuge. There were a lot of birds flying in different directions. We did see one bird land. I'm hoping the more Knowledgeable experts may help me ID. Pretty sure it was a Goose . Definitely Not a Canadian. Mostly Black ,maybe not quite as big as a Canadian. This bird was by itself wondered if he was off he=is normal migration route and lost.Had sort of a rough Landing on solid ground and went into the stubble in the field and blended in real good.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Speck maybe
4.jpg

I know This is not in the normal range of White Fronted Geese My wife and I agree it was very similar to this one. ????

Redfox

I was down there Christmas Day. The water is very low and of course frozen. I went to where they had the road blocked and saw several thousand in the mouth of the duck. Some were trading back towards grassy so there must have been something open back there. Least water and least birds I have ever seen. Specs are common on the refuge.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I was down there Christmas Day. The water is very low and of course frozen. I went to where they had the road blocked and saw several thousand in the mouth of the duck. Some were trading back towards grassy so there must have been something open back there. Least water and least birds I have ever seen. Specs are common on the refuge.
We go several times every year about this time. I knew they had been working on the road,didn't know it was still closed.

volboy

We were there late yesterday afternoon and all was still frozen. Didn't see much. Down past where the road is closed the sky got almost black as a bunch flew up from the fields past where the road is blocked. Also saw 2 eagles, 1 mature and 1 juvy. I was telling wife about the lack of ducks.when we would drive through there in 80s and 90s fields would be full of ducks and geese and would see lots of deer. I don't see many deer anymore either.

Latest posts