rings and bases

jsholtz

I'm looking at rings and bases for a new gun/scope. I've heard good things about Talley and Warne mounts. I've used Leupold stuff before - seemed good. Anyone have any ideas/recommendations/feedback?

Model70Man

Talley Lightweights on all of my rifles.

This past Feb. on a hog hunt with some TNDeer members, I made a decision to drop my rifle and grab a tree or fall 30+ feet down a cliff. The rifle fell and took direct hits to the front ring, forend, bolt handle, muzzle, and scope as it tumbled smashing into rocks and trees. I went to the range and shot a 3 shot group at 100 yds....DEAD ON just like it was before the fall.

I wouldn't recommend this method to test the durability of rings and bases on your rifle. Talley lightweights all the way for my rifles after that experience.

I will never recommend Leupold STD rings and bases after they broke after 5 shots at the range sighting in a 270 WSM. The rear ring sheared right off of the base. IMO, complete junk. Dual Dove tails are much better than the STD's.

jsholtz

Both sportsmans warehouse and bass pro carry the warne mounts...I guess I would have to order the talleys...
Anyone else care to chime in on this?

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
I had a set of the Warne quick release models that broke when tightened down. Guess I'm too ham handed for them. I also had a set of the Millet Rings to come apart when I installed them. There was a defect in the casting and they literally fell apart. I was never able to get a reply from Millet so I've not used their stuff since. I've had good results with the Leupold QR and double dovetail models. I like the Leupold double dovetail bases and Burris Signature double dovetail rings. I'd use the Burris bases with their rings but I just like the looks of the Leupold bases best.

Latest posts