First Rifle-Do I Really Need to Lap my Scope Rings?

GhillieBow

Had been eyeing a Weatherby Vanguard .308 as my first rifle for some years now. Finally caught one on a solid deal. Paired it with a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9X.

Rather do my own work when possible so I'm in the processing of ordering a gun vise, torque wrench, etc. In yall's opinions do I really need to lap the scope rings? Is there a major benefit to it? Never really heard of someone doing it in real life. Thanks for any feedback.

Gmed

Lapping can do two things. First, it provides both rings with the best possible "grip" on the scope tube. The fine abrasive used to lap the scope removes any "high" areas in the rings and allows each ring's top and bottom halves to be in the best possible alignment to the tube. Second, lapping also eliminates creating those ugly ring marks you see on many scope tubes. The only downside is once lapped, they are front/back specific and should only be used in that specific set.

Last edited:

GhillieBow

So far it's even 2:2 Lap:No Lap

I haven't purchased the kit yet but I understand that lapping can only help. Unless I do it wrong but I'm pretty good with instructions.

Lone Hunter

You might want to try Burris XTR SIGNATURE rings. I have slowly began replacing them when changing scopes on different rifles. They don't mar your scope in any way. Only thing is you will have to have a Picatinny rail which I do on my rifles. Otherwise for hunting DNZ ..

GhillieBow

You might want to try Burris XTR SIGNATURE rings. I have slowly began replacing them when changing scopes on different rifles. They don't mar your scope in any way. Only thing is you will have to have a Picatinny rail which I do on my rifles. Otherwise for hunting DNZ ..
Interesting design. Thanks for the suggestion.

Latest posts