First Rifle-Do I Really Need to Lap my Scope Rings?

MUP

I really like the DNZ one piece mounts, but I'll run my lapping bar lightly thru every mount I intend to use on my rifles, if nothing else to just check for burrs. Machining techniques aren't perfect, I know, b/c I am a machinist. Tools wear and break, aluminum can gall and buildup without proper or enough coolant, leaving uneven buildup or high places. :)

ScLowCountry

I have never lapped any of my scope rings. I have used anything from cheap weaver stuff from Walmart , but now I use nothing but DNZ.

I've never used to torque wrench or a vice. All my stuff holds zero. I've never had any issues. Just take your time tightening up the rings and bases. Don't over tighten.

Last edited:

FTG-05

I have never put a scope on that I didn't lap the rings regardless what quality they was. Just me.
Same here. The only exception were the ones that came with those nylon inserts. I always make sure to use non-embedding grinding compound from Brownells. I start 400 grit, so it's pretty fine, doesn't take much material off at all.

I've never not been surprised at the amount of mis alignment there is between mounts. By the same token, I've never spent hundreds of $$$$$ for scope mounts, so there is that.

I have an 18" 1" diameter SS rod I use to lap scope mounts, if anyone wants to borrow it, LMK.

Last edited:

DaveB

😅😅😅
Torque wrenches are cheap. There's no way I would risk a $500 scope over a $20 torque wrench. If you don't use a torque wrench you won't know you are over tightening until it's too late. It doesn't happen until it happens.
1. Yes. Torque wrenches will pay for themselves. Get one from Wheeler
2. Lapping is a thing because not all rings are created equal.
Now, What are these?
1699634794864.jpeg

3. These are used, if absolutely necessary, because not all scopes are perfect.

Spurhunter

1. Yes. Torque wrenches will pay for themselves. Get one from Wheeler
2. Lapping is a thing because not all rings are created equal.
Now, What are these?
View attachment 202426

3. These are used, if absolutely necessary, because not all scopes are perfect.
I use Burris signature series rings so I don't have to worry about any of that stuff (except the torque wrench) but they aren't for everyone.

44 mag

I also use DNZ rings. I have never lapped and never had any issues. If I buy a rifle that has a rail already on it I take the rail off and install DNZ. Just make sure you torque to speck and go with it.

Latest posts