Scope Rings

AveryPC

Looking to get a scope for a Ruger American 308 predator I just bought. Think I have decided on a 2-7 Vortex scope since I rarely shoot over 100 yards and often shoot closer than 40. Wondering what the best budget rings would be. Rogers sporting goods has Leupold rifleman vertical rings for $17 and vortex hunter for under $25. Would either of these do the job, I have had scopes come loose mid hunting season before and causes some misses, so I am trying to avoid that. I will probably mount it and not take it off again even if I sell it so I am not worried about taking it on and off.

rifle02

Looking to get a scope for a Ruger American 308 predator I just bought. Think I have decided on a 2-7 Vortex scope since I rarely shoot over 100 yards and often shoot closer than 40. Wondering what the best budget rings would be. Rogers sporting goods has Leupold rifleman vertical rings for $17 and vortex hunter for under $25. Would either of these do the job, I have had scopes come loose mid hunting season before and causes some misses, so I am trying to avoid that. I will probably mount it and not take it off again even if I sell it so I am not worried about taking it on and off.
The Vortex Hunter rings are a style I would not recommend. Vertical split Rings seem to be okay. I have always done well with Warne vertical split rings.

Remi

If you're keeping the pic rail I like Warne Maxima lows

AveryPC

Did not really consider how much scope rings could make a difference until now. Also did not think about taking off the picatinny rail. Is this something that might help? Also, should I Loctite the screws into place?

DaveTN

Did not really consider how much scope rings could make a difference until now. Also did not think about taking off the picatinny rail. Is this something that might help? Also, should I Loctite the screws into place?
Properly mounted bases and rings are not hard to do. Picatinny is fine if you are using the proper rings for it.
If something is moving, you have something seriously wrong. An inch pounds torque wrench is required for proper torque. Never use Loctite on anything on a firearm.

I use Leupold Quick Release bases and rings because I like to remove my scope if cleaning or doing maintenance. The QR system allows it to snap right back into place. They aren't cheap though.

Remi

I would keep the pic rail

I would pull the screws out of the rail, degrease and blue loctite them in, not red, blue.

I degrease the screws on my rings as well and blue loctite them.

Base and rail screws at 30 in/lbs and ring screws at 20in/lbs

AveryPC

Did not think about having to buy a torque screwdriver. The budget rifle I was going for is getting to be not so budget 😂. I appreciate the tips I would have probably just bought cheap rings and tightened them down hand tight.

7mm08

DNZ or Talley. I've switched almost every rifle I own to DNZ. Looks like they are $35 right now on Amazon. DNZ Game Reaper: Ruger American - Short Action - Medium Mount (Black, 1 inch, 11280) Amazon product ASIN B00CQ8JWO4
Wonder if those are fake Chinese rings????

A quick scan of the DNZ website doesn't show anything like that price. Hey, they can teach any prisoner to turn a lathe for their daily soup!

I have been satisfied with my rings on my 336 and yes, torque wrenches and Lock-tite are key.

DaveTN

Did not think about having to buy a torque screwdriver. The budget rifle I was going for is getting to be not so budget 😂. I appreciate the tips I would have probably just bought cheap rings and tightened them down hand tight.
You can do that. I mounted scopes, as I'm sure others did, for years without a Torque wrench. But if something moves, it's because it wasn't tightened properly, wasn't assembled properly, or just wasn't a quality component.

Quality screws that are the proper size and tightened to the proper torque don't need Loctite. If you have a scope come loose, you have a problem that Loctite probably won't fix.

By "quality" I don't necessarily mean expensive. If you are looking at something Leupold or Vortex put their name on, it's probably good. Nothing wrong with a budget rifle. Taking a deer at 100 yards or less doesn't require much. A lot of guys do that without a scope.

If you need help properly mounting a scope, ask, and someone around you will probably offer to help.

7mm08

$60 and you are positive you did it right.

1697590148519.png

Latest posts