Rifle won’t zero

huntntrap

You done her right. So many people buy these combos guns, setup by some dude who barely makes minimum wage, with minimal knowledge. Guarantee a torque wrench wasn't used, don't get me started on bore sighters, an awful scope to boot.

Op, I'll have to look, pretty sure I have a dnz mount for a short action savage. I have no idea if it'll work on the new bottom bolt release savages, but it's yours if you want it and it'll work. We'll figure out logistics.
Thanks for the offer on the mount that's very nice of you. I really want to see if they make it right. I paid for a working gun and scope.

Jcalder

Thanks for the offer on the mount that's very nice of you. I really want to see if they make it right. I paid for a working gun and scope.
I have little doubt that they'll look at it, but you'll end up with the same results you have now. If you decide to change your mind, let me know. Offer stands.

SC Manimal

My first rifle I personally purchased was an older Savage 30-06 (no scope). I bought something cheap, threw it on without a torque wrench, and couldn't shoot a pie plate at 50 yards. Sold it cheap and told the guy it wouldn't shoot straight. It was a few years later before I realized my mistake.

Openlake

There's some good advice here. I always start at the basics. Is everything tight? Stock screws, scope bases, rings. Do you have a good firm rest? Sandbags, benchrest, lead sled. Be consistent with cheek weld on the stock (scope parallex can move your impact). Allow your barrel to cool well between shots. Thin barrels are notorious for opening groups up when hot. Use good breathing/trigger pull squeeze. No jerking the trigger.

ScLowCountry

My first rifle I personally purchased was an older Savage 30-06 (no scope). I bought something cheap, threw it on without a torque wrench, and couldn't shoot a pie plate at 50 yards. Sold it cheap and told the guy it wouldn't shoot straight. It was a few years later before I realized my mistake.
What was the problem? The scope, your mounting, or both?

nso123

If remounting the scope doesn't completely fix it, consider checking the torque on the action screws. Savages are really fickle about the screw torque, to the point that some people actually tune the rifle using the torque.

TiminTN

Anything with a Torx head simply gets tightened down properly now if it has slotted head screw a dab of loctite is ok.
Looking at the picture, thats the widest gap I`ve ever seen between the lower and upper ring half. It needs everything removed and reassembled correctly.

Last edited:

DaveB

ill also bet dollars to donuts they didn't torque the scope mounts correctly
Remove the scope
remove the rings
Be sure bases have not been oiled.

Start over with torque wrench.

If you have a different scope, put that on and check your zero. That nikon has some years on it and may have been abused.

I would also clean the bore. If your first coupla passes come out filthy I would not stop until I was at cold steel.

Generally speaking that Savage has a good reputation for accuracy.

Latest posts