Rifle won’t zero

huntntrap

I bought a savage 110 308 and have had it out twice trying to get it sighted in. It came with a vortex scope already installed on it and I had it bore sighted at the store where I bought it. Every time I adjust the scope it will hold for 1 or 2 shots and then it's way off. I have tried 2 different brands of ammo and same thing. Is my scope trash or maybe a little loose or what else could it be

huntntrap

The scope is a crossfire 2 3-9 x 40. Not sure about the mounts. It was bought as a combo. Everything was installed at the factory I guess

huntntrap

image.jpg

DaveTN

If you know for a fact it's not you.....

It could be bad internals on the scope. It could be mounted improperly (loose).

You say it came with the scope. So its something like the Savage in the link below? Take it back and get a new one.

If you are adjusting it and it doesn't stay, and it's not you, then it's the internals of the scope.

1 or 2 shots doesn't tell much.

You could have a problem with the barrel, but thats unlikely.

I wouldn't troubleshoot it; I'd take it back.

Jcalder

If you know for a fact it's not you.....

It could be bad internals on the scope. It could be mounted improperly (loose).

You say it came with the scope. So its something like the Savage in the link below? Take it back and get a new one.

If you are adjusting it and it doesn't stay, and it's not you, then it's the internals of the scope.

1 or 2 shots doesn't tell much.

You could have a problem with the barrel, but thats unlikely.

I wouldn't troubleshoot it; I'd take it back.

A new one won't fix his the problems. The mounts are junk. And most likely, if assembled by a Walmart employee, it's not correct. Taking it back, requesting a new one, and being disappointed once again because it's still junk and not correct is not fixing the problem.

DaveTN

So if I change the scope what would be a good scope to look for
What's your budget, what will you be doing with it, and at what range. You can never go wrong with Leupold, but they may not have one on your budget. I also use Leupold QR (Quick Release) mounts and rings so if I need to take the scope off, it will be close to zero when I put it back.

But you haven't ruled out something being wrong with the gun yet.

huntntrap

I bought it at smoky mountain gun and ammo in knoxville. I think I will take it back and see what they say. Maybe they can remount the scope and boresight and check everything

DaveTN

I bought it at smoky mountain gun and ammo in knoxville. I think I will take it back and see what they say. Maybe they can remount the scope and boresight and check everything
That's what I'd do. Except that I would want to exchange it. If the internals are bad, they will reset everything and you will need to go through attempting to zero again, with the same results. I would just rather save the time and ammo.

Latest posts