Rifle won’t zero

ImThere

I'd take the scope off tighten the mounts remount the scope make sure everything is properly torqued and make sure it will shoot. After that if it still don't shoot I'd be at the store asking questions.
I wouldn't spend a dime on it until things were ruled out

DaveTN

I'd take the scope off tighten the mounts remount the scope make sure everything is properly torqued and make sure it will shoot. After that if it still don't shoot I'd be at the store asking questions.
I wouldn't spend a dime on it until things were ruled out
Cheap mounts will hold at the range. Hunting, riding in the truck that's a different story
That's what I was thinking. If it is the mounts, they could hold for a while. Or if it's the scope internals they could hold for a while. A while being until he has a big azz buck in front of him. 🤣

Jcalder

Cheap mounts will hold at the range. Hunting, riding in the truck that's a different story
I had some mounts on a savage built like weaver mounts. The ones that took a big flat screw driver that you had to tighten. As it tightened up, it pushed the screw driver out of the hole since the threads were too long. They wouldn't hold after the first shot. I don't think that's the case here, but they're junk.

ImThere

I had some mounts on a savage built like weaver mounts. The ones that took a big flat screw driver that you had to tighten. As it tightened up, it pushed the screw driver out of the hole since the threads were too long. They wouldn't hold after the first shot. I don't think that's the case here, but they're junk.
Absolutely agree but I wouldn't spend money until I needed too I would think the store would replace them if they don't see an issue. No reason to throw at it yet imho

Jcalder

Absolutely agree but I wouldn't spend money until I needed too I would think the store would replace them if they don't see an issue. No reason to throw at it yet imho
I wouldn't expect quality rings and bases on a combo rifle. I would prefer to just purchase the rifle without the junk if possible, but not everyone wants that. I doubt the gun store will give you new rings cause the combo rings are trash.

ImThere

I wouldn't expect quality rings and bases on a combo rifle. I would prefer to just purchase the rifle without the junk if possible, but not everyone wants that. I doubt the gun store will give you new rings cause the combo rings are trash.
I agree with this also. I like to pick these things out part of the fun. IMHO. Not a big spender on custom stuff. AT ALL but i do enjoy putting my shooter together

DaveTN

In 2005 I bought a Remington 597 that had a factory scope from Bass Pro in a big sale they were having. When they went to get it, they said they didn't have any left with the factory scope, but would put a cheap ($39) Red Head scope on it for the same price.

That thing was a tack driver. It was boring accurate. I think I had $150 OTD in it. The moral of the story? Most of the time cheap doesn't cut it. But sometimes you get lucky. 🤣

DaveTN

Just curious why you don't think Loctite should be used on guns?
I was a Toolmaker by trade. I can't begin to describe the damage I've seen from Loctite and WD-40 being used where it shouldn't be.

If a screw is quality, and properly torqued it doesn't need Loctite. Even blue can lock to where you strip it out or have to drill it out. You can't apply high heat to a scope.
However...Some gun manufactures use anti-seize on threads. It prevents corrosion, rust, and seizing, but does not dry and "lock" the fasteners in place.

However….. I just throw this out, just as I do with "Don't dry fire". You will get many people that will tell you nothing bad happened to them. So, you just have to do your research and decide what makes sense to you.

Bull_TN

I was a Toolmaker by trade. I can't begin to describe the damage I've seen from Loctite and WD-40 being used where it shouldn't be.

If a screw is quality, and properly torqued it doesn't need Loctite. Even blue can lock to where you strip it out or have to drill it out. You can't apply high heat to a scope.
However...Some gun manufactures use anti-seize on threads. It prevents corrosion, rust, and seizing, but does not dry and "lock" the fasteners in place.

However….. I just throw this out, just as I do with "Don't dry fire". You will get many people that will tell you nothing bad happened to them. So, you just have to do your research and decide what makes sense to you.
I agree on WD-40. Most people think it's a lubricant, but it's a solvent. I do use Loctite, but when I put a gun together, it's very rare I take it apart. Never heard anything bad about Loctite. I'll have to research. Thanks for sharing.

Mtncur76

My boy had the same issue developed found you could hold the stock and move the whole barrel one of the screws back by the trigger was loose that held the barrel tighten up and all good again

backyardtndeer

I bought my wife her savage model 10 from Walmart many years ago for an anniversary gift for her, it was a scope package gun. First thing I did to the gun for her was take the cheap simmons scope off of it. Put a much better Nikon scope on it, and later on did a trigger job on the gun. Hers is an absolute tack driver after the work I did to it, but from the store was not so great.

Jcalder

I bought my wife her savage model 10 from Walmart many years ago for an anniversary gift for her, it was a scope package gun. First thing I did to the gun for her was take the cheap simmons scope off of it. Put a much better Nikon scope on it, and later on did a trigger job on the gun. Hers is an absolute tack driver after the work I did to it, but from the store was not so great.
You done her right. So many people buy these combos guns, setup by some dude who barely makes minimum wage, with minimal knowledge. Guarantee a torque wrench wasn't used, don't get me started on bore sighters, an awful scope to boot.

Op, I'll have to look, pretty sure I have a dnz mount for a short action savage. I have no idea if it'll work on the new bottom bolt release savages, but it's yours if you want it and it'll work. We'll figure out logistics.

Latest posts