ridges or low spots?

bamarp

need some help guys. Getting a chance to get in the woods in the morning. the land I hunt has all the options I want. This time of year do I want to hunt the ridge tops where the acorns are or do I want to hunt the low spots? I have a large cedar thicket that stretches from the bottom of the hill (power lines) to the top of the ridge (400 yard walk to the top) and this cedar thicket is about 50yards wide from top to bottom. Should I get about 50 yards off the thicket and climb a tree? I think the deer will move in and out of the thicket. If so should I go to the top of the ridge or what? I can either hunt the thicket side of the ridge or I can hunt the other side that has a lot of open woods. Whats yalls advise?

lungpuncher1

bamarp":1j2qxhyz said:
need some help guys. Getting a chance to get in the woods in the morning. the land I hunt has all the options I want. This time of year do I want to hunt the ridge tops where the acorns are or do I want to hunt the low spots? I have a large cedar thicket that stretches from the bottom of the hill (power lines) to the top of the ridge (400 yard walk to the top) and this cedar thicket is about 50yards wide from top to bottom. Should I get about 50 yards off the thicket and climb a tree? I think the deer will move in and out of the thicket. If so should I go to the top of the ridge or what? I can either hunt the thicket side of the ridge or I can hunt the other side that has a lot of open woods. Whats yalls advise?
Hunt the downwind side of the thicket if you think the does are bedding in it. Winds more predictable higher up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bamarp

looking at google maps there is 1 main low spot (saddle) about half way up the ridge that leads out into the hard woods. should I get about 50 yards in front of where the saddle comes to a point in the hardwoods?

Labboy

I have been in the bottom hunting since Thursday. Went to a stand I have on the ridge this morning. Shot and killed the only descent deer I've seen all week. Came out of the thicket and started rubbing on a cedar tree. Shot him at 7:15. Seen alot of deer in the hollow this week but no shooters.

MUP

bamarp":2kb13j1x said:
looking at google maps there is 1 main low spot (saddle) about half way up the ridge that leads out into the hard woods. should I get about 50 yards in front of where the saddle comes to a point in the hardwoods?

Depends on wind direction and thermals IMO.

bamarp

Labboy":6khu7ycq said:
I have been in the bottom hunting since Thursday. Went to a stand I have on the ridge this morning. Shot and killed the only descent deer I've seen all week. Came out of the thicket and started rubbing on a cedar tree. Shot him at 7:15. Seen alot of deer in the hollow this week but no shooters.
I think with the wind direction in the morning I will be able to climb to the top of the ridge and get about 50 yards off the thicket line. I know there are big deer up there I saw 2 in archery walking that direction but I never got a shot at them. So hunt the top of the ridge is the best option it sounds like. I am super pumped about how cold it will get tonight and I hope they are moving in the morning.

bamarp

well just an update. I went exactly where I wanted to go and for the 1st part of the day I saw plenty of deer. The only problem was they were all small. Had 5 different spikes and button bucks all around me all morning. they would go in and out of the thicket about 30- yards in front of me but nothing big enough to kill. When it was about time to climb down I heard one grunt for the 1st time ever in the thicket. I am texting my buddy asking him what to do. He tells me to do a couple small grunts and see if he comes out. So I did. I never saw him or heard him again. Where are all the bigger deer at? lol I would have been happy with a mature doe but never saw anything over about 60lbs. lol Plan on going back Friday or Saturday and see if the babys daddy shows up. lol I know they are there I seen them in archery but they are not wanting to be very cooperative right now.