Reloading question

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
I'm still new to reloading so don't beat up in me to bad for silly questions. I got a new savage 7mm08 I had some old brass from my remmy model 7. Ok so I reload some ammo for testing loads and when I went to load them into the gun the bolt is hard to push down and pull back up? So I thought I had the bullets pulled out to far so I tried to load just brass with no bullet and still hard. So is this normal since the brass was fired from a different gun? Brass was trimmed ,and sized. I did not shoot my test loads because I was afraid to mess something up.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

DaveB

Chambers have different sizes.

I know it sounds crazy, but there is no rule that says a Remington 7mm08 has the same chamber dimensions as a Savage 7mm08.

You need to full length size the brass. What worked in the old will then work in the new.

BTW, I have two 7mm08, two 223, and 2 300 WinMag rifles. I have different dies for each rifle....and different stacks of brass and even their own bullets and powders.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Yes I have full length die they are brand new die I bought them just to reloading for this gun. As for is the die set up correctly yes I set it up the same way I did for my 223,243 and they worked out great. I will double check the length of the brass again to make sure

mr.big

you need to adjust the FL sizer down about 1/8th turn and size a couple pieces of brass and see if the will chamber correctly,if not turn size die down about 1/8th turn and size a couple pieces ofbrass and see if they chamber correctly,,if not repeat,,etc etc

if you just run the die down till it touches the shellholder a lot of times you will be sizing your brass too much,,and once in a while you wont be sizing it enough which sounds like what is happening,,you will be surprised how much a press will flex and sometimes you will even have to screw the die down far enough that the press cams over at the top of the stroke,,

DaveB

If the length is correct then you are left with the die set up.

Start from scratch and re-do the FL die.

Last Summer I re-set my 300 WinMag die and first case I crushed the neck. And the next several....before I started from scratch. I did the same thing with some nice 300 WSM brass from a Member. It only takes a second to get it wrong.

Hunter 257W

The only silly question is the one you don't ask that gets you hurt! Follow the directions above for lowering the sizer die downward in small increments until you can chamber the cases and it should fix your problem. This is why I don't have any 2 guns chambered for the same bottle-neck cartridge or I'd probably do as DaveB mentioned and keep die sets for each rifle.

I do have a similar variable in that I have 2 RCBS Rock Chucker presses made about 20 years apart and their height varies about .100 inches so that you have to adjust dies if you move them from press to press. Rather than do that I went to the lathe and made a washer with a thickness equal to the difference in height between the two presses. If using the short press I just put the washer under the die. If using the tall Rock Chucker I use the dies without the washer.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Ok so I rechecked everything and put calipers on a bunch of brass I think it's my brass is to long ? Most of my brass is .015 longer than max. So I need to trim my brass more I miss read the book I guess because I done trimmed it once

TiminTN

Your seating die can be set wrong too, to make sure take out die from press, place a sized case in the shell holder and raise it up all the way. Screw in the seating die with lock ring loose. Now srew the die down till it just touches the case. Back die up 1/4 turn, run ring down and tighten it. The small seating stem then should be raised up and eased down to the length you want on your test loads.

Just something else to check on.

infoman jr.

reloadxx":7u2j6fez said:
Ok so I rechecked everything and put calipers on a bunch of brass I think it's my brass is to long ? Most of my brass is .015 longer than max. So I need to trim my brass more I miss read the book I guess because I done trimmed it once

Trim it again. Sounds like a simple check.

Hunter 257W

reloadxx":2btnx25c said:

Yes, the brass should be trimmed to the Min length but I'm still thinking your main problem with chambering is caused from a sizer die adjustment. Still, it's best to only do one operation at a time when trouble shooting so trim, try to chamber the cases, then if it still takes too much force or won't chamber you can go ahead with turning the sized die down 1/8 turn at a time.

MUP

What tool are you using to trim the brass with? Make sure to trim your first case to spec, setting your trimmer at that point, then continue to trim after that as well. If using a Lee case trimmer make sure it is bottomed out on the gage stem also.

KPH

After tying everything else you may have a die that is not right. That happen me one changed dies and no other problem. This will be rare so try everything else first.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Ok this is what I have came up with still don't understand it. I have trimmed to .010 under max still want fit in the savage but will fit in the remmy. Then sized the brass still want fit it the savage but will the remmy. I have rcbs full length die. So I fired a factory round out of both the savage and the remmy. With out doing anything to the brass remmy brass will not fit in savage but savage brass will fit in remmy. So I trimmed both same results savage will fit in remmy but remmy want fit in savage. So then I sized both still same result but even after I sized them they still fit like a glove back in there on guns . So I guess I got a lot of brass that I can't reload for my savage. Or does anyone have anymore thoughts on what's going on?

Latest posts