Reccomend me a gun and caliber

TheAirMan

I need a rifle that's inexpensive that can be left out of the safe where if it's stolen I won't be to tore up. It's main objective will be to grab quick and take care of coyotes up to 200-250 yards. Obviously not looking for a nice wood stock and good blued finish. Mainly want something that will go bang with enough accuracy to get the job done.

Hardwoodmaterials

About any cheap rifle you pick up now will be more than capable of doing what you want. You can get the T/C Compass for around $225-$250 after the rebate right now, A Ruger American or a Remington 700 adl for under $400. You could get a 243 Win and shoot light weight varmint bullets or go up around the 100gr. bullet range if you wanted to shoot deer or had a young hunter that wanted to go.

catsbackr

T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor and a decent scope. You can have just what you described for less than $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheAirMan

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have put in the original post that the ruger American is not an option. I had one in .270. Shot at a deer a couple years ago, went to chamber another round and something didn't feel right. I looked down and the bolt had came apart. I had to carry it home in pieces. I know if one has a problem that doesnt mean they all will but I dont want another one.

Shanman

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... rebate-301

I don't believe that the Axis has the Accu Trigger, but looks like the Axis 2 does. You definitely want the Accu Trigger if you decide to go with Savage, well worth it. Caliber.....what else would you use it for outside of yotes? Yotes, groundhogs, paper..... or yotes, groundhogs, and deer. If you possibly would use it for deer my personal preference would be the 7mm-08, just for the simple fact that there is a good selection of bullet weights for this caliber. Don't forget that the "Compacts" have a shorter Length Of Pull usually meant for youth and female shooters. A lot of the combo packages come with scopes, look up these scopes to make sure they are right for you. I have been very impressed with the Savage firearms I own and honestly have heard nothing but good about them. Know nothing about the T/C Compass but see it suggested as a great pick all the time.

TheAirMan

As far as use, it will just be stood in a corner and grabbed when a coyote or something sticks it head out. That said, if it was a caliber that could be used as a youth deer rifle it would be a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

243 or higher caliber unless you can get the 22-250 with a fast twist (defined by Nosler as 1 in 9).

A 243 with just about anything will reach out that far. I would be looking at 95/100/105 Partition and a healthy dose of RL19. You can go lighter for sure.....the new gameking green tips are looking super (never thought I'd be saying that)and the price is very very attractive.

I have an AXIS II in 223 and it is very accurate. In 6.5 not so good as of yet. I expect near one-hole accuracy.

I have 3 T/C Venture rifles. the 280 is very accurate. The 308 needs Varget to get 5 under an inch. Still fighting with the 300 WSM. I really like this line of rifles.

Compass is little brother to Venture and all reports I hear say the accuracy may be a notch better than the Venture line.

Both Compass and Axis are available for under 300 bucks. I am using the Vortex diamondback tactical in 4x12x40 and so far am pretty pleased. I am sure the combo of either rifle with Vortex could be assembled for under 500.

mike243

I have to laugh every time somebody posts about the great selection of bullets for the 08, have looked several places and the pickings are very slim as in maybe 1 weight, reloading must be what folks are talking about or ordering,

Latest posts