Rifles that amaze me

JArender

over the last 15 year Ive really become some what of a rifle snob when it comes to groupings. Kinda started when I started reloading and always chasing the smallest of groups be it 3,5,or even 10 shot strings.

i've got guns i'm really ashamed of and proud of too, some due to appearance after I tried my hand at painting them up, and some due to the stupid amount of money I have Invested in them.

My number one hunting rifle is built on a titanium action(and currently on its 3rd barrel, 6.5prc) calvin elite trigger, proof cf barrel, ag composites stock, all topped with a leupold vx6hd. consistently shoots .40 or better any day of the week as long as I do my job on the reloading bench and has shot .25 and better a lot . It's my baby and it will never be sold.

over the years I can count on one hand the number of guns i've bought, stuck a scope on and grabbed a box of ammo off the shelf and that gun being as good a shooter as anyone could ask or load for. on that one hand i've had 3 that are just lights out and stupid to even try and load for. A rem 700 in 7mm mag shoots one hole groups all day with winchester silvertips. A cva scout 45/70. 1/2" groups with hornady ammo

then today i found my 3rd. I picked up a cva scout for my son to use when we go to iowa in .35 whelen. I took a cheap scope and threw on it and grabbed a box of vortex barnes ttsx that I settled on for my .35whelen Jes rebore.

well It freaking loves these. this is a 5 shot group at 100. aim was at orange target, blue was after bore sight to make sure on paper test at 25yd and I adjusted over a few clicks right walked target out to 100 yards.

after the first two at 100 I decided to leave it and see what 5 would do. can't ask for better out of a $500 setup haha Maybe i'm just lucky but this is my second cva scout ever and both shoot awesome. Being single shots makes them extremely easy to pack, carry, and hunt with in any stand.

Attachments

• IMG_3250.jpeg
    IMG_3250.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 47

SSlater

Similar situation with my CZ 550 30-06. I want to try something different like a Bergara but I'm not sure why.

Variety is the spice of life or so they say.

Wiley

That would definitely be a keeper! I bought my son a Remington 700 Youth Synthetic .243 with the black oxide finish that shoots Winchester Ballistin Silvertip 95gr just like that. Dangdest thing I've ever seen.

Huntaholic

In all seriousness, Ive always sort of thought that if the gun is good and on, and is capable of shooting like that, then ANYBODY can shoot that good. I WAS WRONG. It dont make sense to me why, but most folks just cant do it. Ive shot guns recently that were shooting less than half inch groups for ME with factory ammo. Set another shooter behind the gun and he cant shoot better than 2 inches with it and his "pattern" is way off from mine!
I guess I said all of that to say that a LOT of times its the loose nut behind the trigger that makes all the difference!
GREAT SHOOTING OP!

TNRifleman

In all seriousness, Ive always sort of thought that if the gun is good and on, and is capable of shooting like that, then ANYBODY can shoot that good. I WAS WRONG. It dont make sense to me why, but most folks just cant do it. Ive shot guns recently that were shooting less than half inch groups for ME with factory ammo. Set another shooter behind the gun and he cant shoot better than 2 inches with it and his "pattern" is way off from mine!
I guess I said all of that to say that a LOT of times its the loose nut behind the trigger that makes all the difference!
GREAT SHOOTING OP!
If someone buys a new driver, will they suddenly hit the ball like Brooks Koepka? Shooting well takes good fundamentals and a lot of practice. I deal with this ALL the time with guys who buy new Bergara rifles that won't shoot. When we get down to the root, it's almost always that they shoot 5 rounds a year and expect the rifle to turn them into great shooters.

TNRifleman

over the last 15 year Ive really become some what of a rifle snob when it comes to groupings. Kinda started when I started reloading and always chasing the smallest of groups be it 3,5,or even 10 shot strings.

i've got guns i'm really ashamed of and proud of too, some due to appearance after I tried my hand at painting them up, and some due to the stupid amount of money I have Invested in them.

My number one hunting rifle is built on a titanium action(and currently on its 3rd barrel, 6.5prc) calvin elite trigger, proof cf barrel, ag composites stock, all topped with a leupold vx6hd. consistently shoots .40 or better any day of the week as long as I do my job on the reloading bench and has shot .25 and better a lot . It's my baby and it will never be sold.

over the years I can count on one hand the number of guns i've bought, stuck a scope on and grabbed a box of ammo off the shelf and that gun being as good a shooter as anyone could ask or load for. on that one hand i've had 3 that are just lights out and stupid to even try and load for. A rem 700 in 7mm mag shoots one hole groups all day with winchester silvertips. A cva scout 45/70. 1/2" groups with hornady ammo

then today i found my 3rd. I picked up a cva scout for my son to use when we go to iowa in .35 whelen. I took a cheap scope and threw on it and grabbed a box of vortex barnes ttsx that I settled on for my .35whelen Jes rebore.

well It freaking loves these. this is a 5 shot group at 100. aim was at orange target, blue was after bore sight to make sure on paper test at 25yd and I adjusted over a few clicks right walked target out to 100 yards.

after the first two at 100 I decided to leave it and see what 5 would do. can't ask for better out of a $500 setup haha Maybe i'm just lucky but this is my second cva scout ever and both shoot awesome. Being single shots makes them extremely easy to pack, carry, and hunt with in any stand.
Great shooting man. I'm. It saying it's a Bergara barrel but I will say the barrel is made in the same factory :p:p:p

JArender

I think it's possible you are giving the hardware too much credit and not enough on your ability. When I see a group like that I know, it's either been shot at a very short distance or it's been shot by a marksman. You sir are a marksman. 👍
thx.

when I shot the two at 25 and they were same hole I was like well it will probably do! then when it did it to the first two at 100 i'm really surprised my heartbeat allowed the next 3 to hit same hole. But it's funny. i'm a big archery shooter for fun. I practice so much at 80 yards that shooting 20 and 30 when hunting is a breeze. I think that same practice on the range shooting 500 has greatly improved my 100 over the years.

JArender

That's awesome. Can I ask the weight of the prc?
right under 8lbs loaded and scoped. maybe a hair more. It's been a while since I weighed it. I recently changed the bottom metal to hawkins hunter along with their flush mags and went from a sendero 22" barrel to 20" sendero light so i'm not sure what all that did if anything much maybe 2-3 oz and I changed the scope from a mk5hd to a vx6hd so that's 6-7oz savings. I think I was right at 8.12 scoped before and I went from arc m10 to night force rings so that shaved another 1-2 oz. All in all a few oz don't seem like much until you're about 6 hours into a climb haha. I have it ready to chase any mtn animal I want now though.