Weatherby Mark V rifles.

Snowwolfe

Weatherby had a sale during Black Friday so I ordered two Mark V rifles, both left handed. One rifle, a 340 Wby was a custom build with a 6 month lead time. The other was supposedly in stock and ready to ship. The "Sale" was not a very good one. After waiting a month for Weatherby to ship the rifle they finally agreed to cancel the order. I changed my mind about the Accumark in 300 Wby and looked for their Backcountry model and found a fantastic deal on one in 300 Weatherby. Picked it up from my dealers yesterday.
Love the stock on this model, it is made by Peak 44. Combination of green and brown in carbon fiber. Stock is trim and recoil pad seems very nice. All metal parts are cerakoted and the bolt travel is very smooth. It weighs 6 pounds on my scale (empty). Triggertech trigger. Once I add a Zeiss V4 3x12 scope, a sling, and 3 in the magazine it will be pushing 8 pounds. It also comes with a removable brake and a thread capper. My gut tells me recoil will be brisk without the brake, but manageable.
I still have the Accumark in 340 Wby on order. They quote 6 months for custom orders so.....time will tell. Glad I ordered the 340 in the Accumark model as the extra weight will tame the recoil somewhat.
While searching for the best price on the Backcountry rifle I found a lefty Accumark in 6.5-300 at a killer price. The cartridge is capable of sending a Barnes 127 gr TTSX at 3,450 fps. Sometimes a "good deal" seems to take over our common sense, lol. The Accumark is a slightly "beefier" version of the Backcountry. Slightly bigger stock (maybe a B&C?), bigger barrel, etc. On my scale it weighs 8 pounds 2 ounces empty. Trigger breaks nice and crisp and bolt travel is smooth, especially for a new rifle. The action and bolt are cerakoted and the barrel is unfinished stainless steel. Removable brake and thread capper as well. Plan is to add a Zeiss V4 4x16 scope. I suspect it will weigh right around 10 pounds loaded and ready to go.

Difficult to offer a comprehensive review without actually firing a weapon. All I can say at this point is I think there is good value in these rifles. All models have the Weatherby MOA guarantee. I like the Backcountry model better. But wanted to buy separate models to make it easier to identify the rifle and chambering.
Could be awhile before these rifles gets any range time as I bought it for future potential Alaska hunts and possibly Elk and long range hunting out west.

Sako

I have almost pulled the trigger and bought a 6.5x300 several times... very interesting. One of the main issues I run into with all of this is getting brass to reload and so forth... certainly not cheap. I have owned a few Weatherbys over the years and really liked them. I hope the ones you have are everything you hoped....

That 340 certainly will be a killer... hopefully not on both ends

Snowwolfe

The things that steered me towards the Weatherbys is that brass is easy to find in our crazy current market. And they offer their left handed rifles in calibers most other builders do not. Granted, brass can be expensive. With careful shopping you can find it on sale, or once fired, for reasonable prices.
My goal with any new rifle today is not to buy it until I can collect 200 pieces of brass for it.
For the 6.5-300 brass ended up costing roughly $2.25 each. Ironically, I seen new Weatherby ammo loaded with Hornady bullets for $60 a box. Still thinking about picking up a few boxes.

Ridgeline300

I don't own a backcountry but I do own a CA Ridgeline FFT in 300wm and recoil without the break on those 6lb rifles is a beast. I was hoping to shoot mine without the break for hunting because I hate electronic ear plugs/muffs. I can hear better with my own ears than with those things and I've tried several different models. With the break on recoil is almost nothing, crazy how much difference a break makes, so I hunt with the electronic plugs ( walker's seemed the best that I've tried ). I had a 340 Weatherby years ago, loves the rifle but hated buying ammo for it lol.

Latest posts