Rainy day recurve doe

tree_ghost

Freaking awesome! Congrats!!
So how high did you hunt? You have to spin around because of your bridge? I know you said it was getting in your way. Your making this look to easy!! Congrats again!
So I'm an extreme "canter" with my bow in order to get the sight picture and accuracy I like. When I normally set up in my saddle it's in anticipation of the deer coming in between my 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions in order to use the trunk of the tree for cover. In order to get proper clearance from the tree I need to be basically a 90 degree angle from the deer to me to the tree if that makes sense. It keeps me from using the tree for cover at all like I can with my compound. It isn't the bridge that's in my way it's the tree trunk. At this time of year, and in the areas I hunt if your more than 10-12' off the ground the understory completely covers the deer up. If I were 20+ feet up the movement wouldn't bother me at all but right now it makes it tough to keep from getting picked off.

tree_ghost

Awesome. That's doing it the hard way. My first deer ever was with a Bear Kodiak Magnum recurve. Probably my most memorable deer
I have a 61 Kodiak Magnum that I purchased off a member here earlier this year. I did a complete restoration on it. That will be my next trip to the woods and hopefully off the ground trying to kill one.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I started out hunting with a recurve, never got a deer just small game. I have been wanting to get one and try hunting with it now.

Gray Squirrel

Well I set out in January to challenge myself a little more in my hunting endeavors. I have been practicing almost every day since then with my recurve. I had a cluster of white oaks that the deer have been relentless on the last week or so. I figured with the rain today I'd have enough sound cover to slip in and get tight on them as the deer usually breed within 50 yards of these oaks. Well I got settled in my saddle at 4:00 and by 5 I had several does within 30 yards of me. It took a while for the shot opportunity to develop but when it did I let her fly at 16 yards. She fell within sight! This is my first deer killed with a recurve and I couldn't be more proud!
Congrats - I hope some day I'll do the same

Latest posts