Rainy Juvy Weekend

Southern Sportsman

My son is 8, and this will be his first year on the gun. I have deer hunted since my dad thought I was big enough to shoot his .270, but I have never been more excited for a hunt than I am for this weekend. I know we desperately need ran, and my food plots agree, so I wont complain about the forecast. I'm not concerned about getting wet -- it is going to be warm and we will be in a box blind -- but I am a little concerned about the impact of rain should we need to blood trail a deer. If the gun was in my hands on a rainy day, I would focus on a high-shoulder shot to limit that risk. But it will be an 8-year-old shooting a 300 Blackout, and I have preached extensively about shot placement behind the shoulder. I suppose I will just try to pay attention to radar, but if a deer steps out while a heavier rain is falling or imminent, it will be an uncomfortable dilemma. Anybody else worried about this?

Madbowh

Not with a300. My first thought anytime I see rain in the forecast on a day I'm hunting is how many times I've had a difficult tracking job in daylight with clear skies. Not even mentioning how wrong the weather men can be. Just this month idk how many times specifically last Friday they said rain all day and it quit before I even left the house just wind and sun. Worry about it when you get there

Jcalder

My forecast is dry for this weekend.

I do agree with what you're saying tho. It is a concern. Heavy rain and I'd be picking the shots more carefully. In 25 years of hunting, I've not lost an animal because rain washed the blood away.

megalomaniac

300blk is a great 1st round for deer. Esp if loaded with 125g NBTs at 2200 or so. We got passthrus no problem with 2in exits, so tracking shouldn't be a problem unless it's an absolute gully washer.

Remington700

I'm in NW also and monitoring the rain. My kids shoot a 243 and use to shoot a 223. So blood is not always as much as a larger caliber. As you know shot placement is key. Kids (heck even adults) do not always make the best shot. Try to watch the deer and see which way it goes, etc. Good luck with the kido.

PickettSFHunter

I was hoping to head to western Kentucky to hunt but it sure is looking like wash out.I understand your concern. Adults could just shoulder shoot and not worry but hard to say about the 8 year old. If you're comfortable with his shooting, then I say go for it and bust some shoulders.

kaizen leader

My son is 8, and this will be his first year on the gun. I have deer hunted since my dad thought I was big enough to shoot his .270, but I have never been more excited for a hunt than I am for this weekend. I know we desperately need ran, and my food plots agree, so I wont complain about the forecast. I'm not concerned about getting wet -- it is going to be warm and we will be in a box blind -- but I am a little concerned about the impact of rain should we need to blood trail a deer. If the gun was in my hands on a rainy day, I would focus on a high-shoulder shot to limit that risk. But it will be an 8-year-old shooting a 300 Blackout, and I have preached extensively about shot placement behind the shoulder. I suppose I will just try to pay attention to radar, but if a deer steps out while a heavier rain is falling or imminent, it will be an uncomfortable dilemma. Anybody else worried about this?
I hope your son has a great time and wants keep hunting. Good luck.

Latest posts