Lead Doe Matriarch

ronnycl

Generaaly speaking i have notice the lead doe in a group as the matriarch. The behavior of the deer in their core group are dictated by her actions. My question is.... does killing the matriarch put the remaining does in limbo? I want to ensure the longevity of the herd.....whats your opinion or experience?

Ski

Yes and no. Another doe will take her place in short order. However, it may be a young doe that isn't necessarily ready or wise enough for the task. Just like our grandmothers, an old doe has a lot to teach the younger generations. Lots of wisdom and she rules the herd, dictates who gets first crack at food, fawning grounds, etc. She keeps order and maintains a level of consistency that a younger doe simply cannot.

Another really important reason for me to keep her around is because she's been hitting estrus same time every year for many years, and every older buck in the area knows when. Learn that time and you can plan hunts around it. That continuity of predictable buck activity can't be bought. It's priceless for a hunter.

If and when I target does I am looking for a yearling or 2yr old. Does make new does, and those young does can be replaced by next season. But that old nanny and all her consistency takes years to replace. So I never shoot her. But to each their own.

BSK

My experience is the social unit breaks up, with each mother doe taking her offspring with her. Now they don't go far (usually stay in the same area), but each mother doe in the group establishes a new area and begins her own social unit with herself as the matriarch.

Southern Sportsman

@BSK

Isn't there some research showing benefits of killing does with button buck fawns? Something about the momma displacing bucks fawns into different home ranges? I think I've seen you post about it in years past. If I'm looking to kill a doe, I'll look for one with buttons fawns hanging around.

backyardtndeer

Yes and no. Another doe will take her place in short order. However, it may be a young doe that isn't necessarily ready or wise enough for the task. Just like our grandmothers, an old doe has a lot to teach the younger generations. Lots of wisdom and she rules the herd, dictates who gets first crack at food, fawning grounds, etc. She keeps order and maintains a level of consistency that a younger doe simply cannot.

Another really important reason for me to keep her around is because she's been hitting estrus same time every year for many years, and every older buck in the area knows when. Learn that time and you can plan hunts around it. That continuity of predictable buck activity can't be bought. It's priceless for a hunter.

If and when I target does I am looking for a yearling or 2yr old. Does make new does, and those young does can be replaced by next season. But that old nanny and all her consistency takes years to replace. So I never shoot her. But to each their own.
Excellent reply. Only time I may consider the old lead doe is when she is too educated and starts watching stands, then it's game on for a kiddo only if they want to shoot a doe. I believe we have a decent age structure in does though, so it would likely be the next oldest take her place.

That said, I think the last doe we took was about 9 years ago. Plenty around us killing every one they see, and I like having live bait to draw in the bucks so they get a pass on our farm.

TX300mag

@BSK

Isn't there some research showing benefits of killing does with button buck fawns? Something about the momma displacing bucks fawns into different home ranges? I think I've seen you post about it in years past. If I'm looking to kill a doe, I'll look for one with buttons fawns hanging around.

I specifically target the same.

BSK

@BSK

Yes. Buck fawns disperse (usually as a yearling) because their mothers chase them away. This is Nature's way of reducing inbreeding and spreading genetic diversity far and wide. However, if the mother has been removed, the vast majority of button bucks end up choosing their birth range as their permanent adult range. In essence, they don't disperse.

Latest posts