Food Plots Radish and turnips

TheLBLman

Boll Weevil":11luzyun said:
. . . . in numerous different areas around the farm had little to no sign of browsing. I might try some next year but if the deer don't eat them, my radish planting days might be over.
Don't give up on them too quickly.
The first year I started using brassicas, nothing happened much until very late season.
Each year thereafter, seems they like them better and hit them earlier in the year.

I think if they've never seen any before, they may be a little hesitant to try 'em, and may have to develop a taste for 'em.

Took me a long time to try black coffee, and I didn't like it at first. The taste will grow on you. :D

AllOutdoors

I planted radishes this year for the first time. The deer hammered them and they seemed to do well with moderate sunlight on a a dry ridge.

TNTony

AllOutdoors":3eb3db48 said:
I planted radishes this year for the first time. The deer hammered them and they seemed to do well with moderate sunlight on a a dry ridge.

What a fine program! Just what I was liking to hear.

deerhunter10

It seems to be mixed with us at one farm we have deer don't touch radishes but kill our turnips at another its vice versa and then another we can't plant enough of either it seems they love both.

dogtown

I mix the dwarf essex rape, forage radish, and purple top turnips. The deer took a few years to warm up to the greens, but now they hammer them. They tend to eat the tops of the DER and Forage (Groundhog) radishes early and then later hit the turnip greens (late NOV). When everything cools down in DEC/JAN they pull up and eat the turnip bulbs.

One issue is that rotting forage radishes stink.